Troupe or Scaife?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by OswegoTitan41, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Talldrinko..

trope will run the deeper routes .
    --------------------

That is not true. The perception some still have of troupe is that he is a hybrid WR who can catch balls down the field. That is not true at all. troupe has just 9 recepts out of 109 that have been for over 20 yards. Not even 10% and scaife has 6 20+ receptions out of 66 catches. See no difference there. We all know that most of those 9 big plays from troupe were due to his running ability after the catch.

Troupe is not and never will be a dallas clark type TE. At the combine troupe ran a 4.70 40, clark the year before ran a 4.65. Troupe was an attractive prospect because he had good speed(not great), above average size, and great leaping ability 38 1/2 vertical. Of course he was solidly productive at florida.

2. TheTitanGuy

TheTitanGuy Guest

Watch Troupe run after the catch and you will notice a bad habit of trying to hurdle tacklers. This effectively takes him out of the play (he would gain the extra yard or two just as easily by staying on his feet) and exposes his knees to injury. A 270 pound TE should not be going airborn so often.

I say let the two duke it out (figuratively) in the preseason and let the best man start. Regardless of who is at the top of the depth chart I think barring injuries we will see both on the field often enough this season.

3. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I'd rather this year be the determining season as to which TE we not only start but keep on our roster in its entirety..

We need a weapon at TE. We need our TE to be an elite part of our franchise and a household name like Gonzales or Shokey. With VY as Qb we can't afford to put up with anything else. I say we draft high next year if both TEs turn out to be average at what they do.

I say this all the time and will continue to preach the importance of a playmaking game determining TE in our franchise..

4. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Ok...I agree with the first part, if Troupe struggles I think he's gone but regardless I think Scaife will stay and I can see Hartstock leaving as well.

That would leave us with Bo as our only TE, which means that a high draft pick would probably be used on a TE atleast 4th or earlier since TE can be had later ex. Ben Patrick of this year was like a 6th round pick.

I don't agree with you about us needing a top 5 TE just because VY is our QB I just don't understand that one. Care to elaborate?

5. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Yea, Troupe's big play ability stems from his athleticism to be able to outrun LBs and shed tackles in the secondary, but he's probably not going to be catching balls thrown more than 10-15 yards very often. I agree that he exposes himself to injury by trying to make the big move or leap instead of just putting his head down and getting the extra 2 yards.

Don't know if it's just Vince's comfort factor with Scaife or if Scaife just runs better routes, but Bo has been a really nice surprise and always seems to be there for Vince. I'd love for both to have a decent season but I wouldn't be shocked if Bo emerges as the #1, even if Troupe has more raw talent. Either way we have a nice set of TEs this year - don't forget Hartsock who we picked up late in the year and came in without missing a beat.

6. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Talent doesn't always win out especially if you don't play up to it.

Scaife is an overachiever form what we have expected so hopefully he can keep it going and keep taking strides forward.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Pitbull..

I agree with you in principle about having a frank wycheck type TE for vince to go to in key situations. Absolutely and that's why i advocated us taking greg olson. Of course we didn't do that and if another player of that caliber is available next year perhaps we can get him but i'm afraid the opportunity might not be there.

I totally disagree with you that we would have to get rid of anyone next year. Why? If a guy can help the team why would you want to dump him? Both scaife and troupe will be RFA next year. We will certainly tender them both for 08. No way we just dump anyone. Because the compensation for scaife will be less, probably a third rd pick teams will make him some offers. I doubt of anyone really goes after troupe because he will cost a 2nd. It would be wise to lock up scaife now for 3-4 years before that time comes but troupe could possible be allowed to become an UFA in 09. No doubt both will be here through 08. Scaife is making such weak money now($470K against the cap) he would probably love a 4 year deal with a couple of million in signing bonus. Use that incentive to keep him around.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Talent..

I don't think the talent difference is as great as some people think. Troupe is obviously bigger by an inch and 15 lbs but scaife may be stronger. scaife had 24 reps at his combine and troupe didn't lift at his combine but had just 17 reps at his pro day.

Troupe ran a 4.70 40 scaife ran a 4.75. Troupe had 59 catches at florida scaife 42 but troupe was obviously in a more pro like offense. Scaife might have some attributes more applicable to playing his position. Troupe can out jump scaife by 6 inches 38 1/2 vertical vs 32 1/2 but what good does it do him on the field? Scaife is more compact in his blocking and route running and is perceived anyway to be the harder worker.

I'm not trying to argue with anyone but i don't see scaife as just an over achieving grunt and i don't see troupe as a monster talent that's being wasted. Don't put too much into where they were drafted. Scaife is a talented player and i don't see troupe as a lazy bum.

9. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

Sacife got lucky...no improvision. He missed his block, but got in the right place at the right time.

10. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

I gotta go with Scafie bc he has some chemistry with Vy, Troupe can be a breakout guy but it isnt happening, until it happens its Scafie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar