Troy Polamalu Int?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by #90, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The NFL has released a statement that they made a mistake -- admitted it was an interception and the call should NOT have been reversed.

Just announced on NFL Network.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I don't.... but it might be available online somewhere and might even be on NFL.com's website by now
    I'm sure you'll be able to see it several times on ESPN's Sportscenter or PrimeTime

and thanks for the support - you're right
    if it were an incomplete pass, then where was the whistle ?
    watching it over and over on replay should have supported the original call. somehow the ref got the wording in the rule confused

I can imagine him saying " hmmm,.... the ball came out when his knee was still down" , but what he failed to account for was that the player had already made a 'football move' while having possession

the argument Vig is making is that the ball came loose while he was on the ground. and while I respect his opinion thats just ridiculous
    You mean to tell me that if a play catches the ball (CLEARLY), then gets on his knees (while possessing it) sits there for a few seconds (while possessing it) ..... THEN tosses it away (while still kneeled) that it's an incomplete pass ?

3. KobeChaz

KobeChaz Guest

Did you take the time to read the article that Puck posted? The referee did not cite some obscure rule(ie. tuck). Now, as far as reading the Official Rulebook. No, I have not. But, I feel that any fan that watches football week in and week out is familiar enough with the Official Rule in regards to "having possession" of the football. Since it comes into question almost every game. Here is the definition from that abbreviated, easy-reading, glossed-over version at NFL.com

Possession: When a player controls the ball throughout the act of clearly touching both feet, or any other part of his body other than his hand(s), to the ground inbounds.

Seems somewhat vague. But, at the same time. Seems pretty clear! Now, don't forget this is the version that the NFL put out for the fans, media, and so on to interpret the rules. So, IMO Polamalu met the criteria set forth to establish possession. If he lost the ball after establishing that possession. Then he "Fumbled" the ball afterwards. In no way does that take away that Possession that he had already established.

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Thank You

I wonder how this would play out had the Colts scored the winning TD off of that play. What if the Colts HAD won and then the league comes out and claims that the play that gave them the ball that resulted in the score that won the game should not have been ruled in that particular manner, so in essence the Colts should not have had the ball nor the opportunity to score?
    :stars:
    Talk about a freaking mess

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

co-sign
    PuckDaddy

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

The whistle didn't blow because they originally called it an interception. And the play didn't stop until Polamalu was touched down.

And no, that's where I think the part about it being a judgement call comes into play. The same could be argued about a receiver catching the football, while standing still and not moving for 5 seconds, would that be an incompletion considering he didn't move at all? Besides if a players makes no effort to get off the ground I'm pretty sure the officials will call the play dead, for safety reasons, but that's another discussion.

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Nice debate Vig
    had fun with it while it lasted
    i believe it's over:

8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

But as I already stated, that rule description doesn't cover all the technicalities that goes into what is a catch.

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Depends. I still maintain the official had the "legal" foundation to make that call and that it's an interpretation issue, where the official and NFL disagreed. What I was trying to tell KobeChaz was that the rules are complex and open to interpretation and in this case the official made the wrong one (and so did I), however I understand where his line of thinking comes from.

Btw, I'm a little annoyed that Pereira doesn't go into more detail than just say "He maintained possession long enough to establish a catch.", because "long enough" is to me a very subjective term.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Sheesh even the NFL admits it was the wrong call and your still debating.

:ha: sticking by your guns allright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar