TROY SMITH or VINCE YOUNG

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewker

Ewker Starter

how about neither

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Ugh!

Reality check...

Vince Young IS the QB of this team and hopefully will be for the next 10+ years.

Troy Smith is an excellent college QB. He had a GREAT performance against Michigan.

However, Smith is on the short side and until we have his REAL measureables...height/speed/ect., we can't judge what he'll be able to do as a QB in the NFL.

Some of you are impressed with his accuracy as a QB and knowledge of his college playbook. Great.

BUT no NFL rookie leans an entire NFL offense in one training camp. Pick anyone you want...Brady, Manning, Elway, Marino....they don't learn the whole thing. In fact, they learn concepts more than anything and then learn the plays within that concept. Once you understand HOW the offense is trying to attack the defense, it's easier to understand the different route combo's/blocking schemes that can be used. This is why NFL QB's are learning to play quicker. Of course you still have the biggest obstacles of speed of the game and reading the defense...but things are faster on the playbook side of the ball.

Until Smith goes under the NFL microscope, saying he's gonna be the next great QB is akin to calling Gaines Adams the next LT. He could be....but we're a LOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG way from that!!!!

Gut

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

He did? Must have been that 7 minutes I missed....

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Ummm....

Unless I was looking at a different game, Troy threw for 315 yards, 4 TD's vs 1 INT and about a 75% completion rate. And that was against Michigan's defense including Leon Hall who many believe to be the top NFL prospect at CB.

And a couple of the drives he threw nearly every down and had about a 90% completion rate. I'd say that was a great performance.

What would you call it?

Gut

5. one that vince coulda done better on

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Hehehehe!!!

:yes: :))

7. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Seems like I heard somewhere that the Steelers cut down their playbook to about 25% during Ben's rookie year. And I don't see anyone calling him stupid. (Pre-accident, anyways).

8. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

Neither

9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Very pedestrian. Michigan played downright bad on defence and the turf didn't help them either. Leon Halls is not a top pick (not judging from that game), neither is Alan Branch. Woodley was the only player who played well in my opinion.

Besides, Smith's numbers are only slightly better than Chad Henne's. Do you consider Henne a top choice?

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

troy smith is not 5'11..

He is listed at 6'1 215 same size as vick. assuming of course ohio state isn't adding an inch. His measurements will come out in the combine..

Good runner and a very accurate passer but may not have the size and arm to succeed in the nfl. He might not even be drafted. Remember charlie ward?

Doesn't have that big body that powerful build many similar mobile QBs have like mcnair-mcnabb-culpepper-garrard. Those guys all weigh 230+.

Obviously isn't the athlete that vick is.

I would say he will not be a significant nfl player..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar