True grit

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by CRUDS, Nov 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Yea, I saw it this weekend and loved Bridges in it, although it took me a while to settle into his role. The proper speech mixed with his slurred half-drunk drawl was hard to reconcile in my head. It was a distraction until the movie began to develop a bit. Overall he was really impressive... his delivery on the comedic bits was brilliant. He was probably the perfect actor for this role, although you could say that about a lot of his roles.

I thought Steinfeld stole the show as Mattie. That's a tough part to play believably - can't come off as too young or too old and I thought she hit it perfectly. At times I felt like I was watching a young Jodie Foster.

Damon was the weak link in my mind. I don't know, I'm a stickler for accents and his wasn't doing it for me. It was more "generic Hollywood southern accent" than Texan, and I couldn't get over that. I like a lot of his movies, but I think this role was a stretch for him.

Glad I saw it. I wouldn't put it at the top of the Coen brother's hits but they did a really good job with it. Some great performances and I loved the cinematography.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I didn't like it. In fact I was bored.

Sure Bridges was excellent but there was nothing new here at all. Even the cinematography was flat and bland.

If I like the original film I find it hard to justify an almost scene for scene remake. The showdown on the plain had zero energy to it ans was just another chapter rather than a key scene.

So the ending played out like the book big deal.

The young Maddie who was so likeable was nowhere to be seen in the sour faced hag at the end.

5/10

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I agree. The vernacular was stiff and the cadence was off. That often drew me out of the characters. I feel they fell short in that aspect of the direction. Other than that, I enjoyed it.

4. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

It was good but but could've been better.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Had to come back and read to see what everyone else saw.

I don't get quite a few things. One being, why do people praise an actor for playing himself dressed as a cowboy? Bridges was the same character he was in this film as he was in that movie when he was Justin Timberlake's dad... and the same character he was when accepting his last award.
    The other being this movie. It was ok. That's it. I believe if the Coen brothers hadn't touched it.... no one would have hyped it.

It was boring, had no substance, and just wasn't... I don't know. It wasn't captivating.

A bad movie? No. But I'm pretty sure Disney makes TV movies of the same caliber. Cliche' in many scenes, but just really bland overall.

In a sentence- "Nothing to see here folks, move along". Forgettable.

6. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

The Coens are on the decline, IMO.

They've won their awards and now they are aiming to make more personal films (i.e. A Simple Man). I wasn't too impressed with True Grit. I HATED A Simple Man (emphasis on HATED). Burn After Reading had it's moments but still kind of sucks when you get right down to it.

7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I've yet to see this but I've talked to a few friends who have (and are Coen fans) and they felt the same way. I'm gonna try to catch it before it leaves theaters but I'm just not all that excited about it.

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

It could be me once again having expectations for something that was simply overhyped. That happens. I chose it over movies I would have probably really enjoyed, and in hindsight I hate knowing 2 hrs were spent like that- but that's just me.

Now if Black Swan sucks, I'm quitting movies altogether that anyone hypes.

9. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Black Swan was awesome, Deuce. Even an egotistical and often opinionated film goer such as yourself can appreciate its craft.

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I predict Deuce gives Black Swan a "semi" thumbs down. What movies were you planning to see aside from TG?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar