Uncapped Season!?!?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

will definitely not help us gettin good players or even keeping current ones, what is the deal with that?!?!

last i read about it....teams and staff are preparing for it. this cant be a good thing right???

anybody got any updates on this. this could be a colossal sized problem for a relatively cheap team

(yes we find little guys, and make them good.....but than again we have never won an SB doing that either)

2. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

I see it being just like baseball. Dallas, like the NY Yankees, will probably become the best team money can buy.

Oh, and Yuck the Fankees.

3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

It's one year, nothing will change significantly. Great players won't sign for one year

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Yea unfortunately I see Dallas and other big market teams drawing the high profile players. Hopefully the Titan worthy free agents stay smart and come to Tennessee for the chance to win, and not just for the money. Because lets face it, we don't pay anybody top dollar. However I don't see this being such a huge problem for us Titans fans, as our team is built through the draft more than it is through FA acquisitions. Also make note that any FA coming to Tennessee aren't superstars. They come here to become just that with great coaching and schemes that work. Sure they could choose to go to the Cowboys or to the Dolphins where outside of football; life is fun, but they'll never see a Super Bowl.

5. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

It won't be that dramatic of a change... lots of additional safeguards like 6 years before a player is a FA, 2 franchise tags. But the biggest issue is that in football, much more than baseball, money doesn't really buy you championships. Exhibit A: Dan Snyder.

It might actually benefit teams like the Titans that have shyed away from free agency - because it will place more of an emphasis on the draft. Yea, a few teams like Dallas might try to go for broke and load up, but Jerry Jones might be the only billionaire that really likes to throw away money. Most of these guys aren't going to all of a sudden decide that their football teams shouldn't be a profitable business.

6. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Courtland Finnegan, Keith Bulluck, KVB, Vince Young, Michael Roos, and David Stewart might disagree.

7. JCBRAVE

Cortland Finnegan $6,606,360 - Asante Samuel $14,145,000 in 2008
    Keith Bulluck $6,253,720 - Lance Briggs $8,805,000 in 2008
    Kyle Vanden Bosch $4,486,720 - Jared Allen $21,119,256 in 2008
    Vince Young $7,227,520 - Ben Roethlisberger $27,701,920 in 2008
    Michael Roos $13,505,520 - YES we did pay him big bucks
    David Stewart $9,006,240 - Chris Snee $14,890,000 in 2008

So only one of those guys you pointed out are getting top dollar. All the rest make fantastic money for themselves but not top dollar by position. No salary cap will allow Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder to give more than the listed amounts on the right of our teams highest paid. And we sure as hell wouldn't pay any CB 14 million. Or any QB 21 million. Vince had to get that money being the 3rd pick.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

If they work out the CBA the bigger question is what happens to washington and dallas. They are both so far over the cap they will have to cut half their teams. Hayneworth maybe one and done

9. JCBRAVE

Wait a minute... So could Washington really end up letting Haynesworth go? If that's the case, I'll stop making fun of him and welcome him back open arms.

I'm not sure but I do believe they signed Big Al hoping there wouldn't be a cap.

10. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Basically, we are like every other NFL team - we have one player being paid top dollar. When it comes to median salary, the Titans paid 8th highest at $1,006,120 in 2008. So, we pay players pretty well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar