Uncapped Season!?!?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Sep 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titan_Cam

Titan_Cam Camp Fodder

Given your love for both teams, were you more sad to see Al leave the Titans or more happy to see him arrive on the Skins?

2. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

The suggestion that the Titans (and thus Bud Adams) are inherently cheap and won't spend the money on good players is simply wrong. We have been reluctant to give big contracts during the salary cap era . . . in particularly in recent years. BUT if you were an Oiler fan, you remember that Bud Adams shelled out the money for good players when there was no salary cap. From 89-93, this team was loaded with talent and had a huge payroll. It was the salary cap being introduced that killed the team after that. They had to unload a ton of good players (including Warren Moon) to get under the cap. We always paid money like San Fran, and Dallas, or at least close to them. And if you think that no cap will kill small market teams, just look at Buffalo of the late 80s and early 90s . . . they went to 4 super bowls during that time and they were a very small market. It has to do with owners being willing to spend the money and we actually have one who is willing to spend . . . what you are seeing as being cheap these days is simply a strategy to manage the cap. The history of this franchise supports me on this, and any old school oilers fans will likely agree.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

^Your right to a certain extent.

4. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

I understand the point, and I don't think that they have wasted any money. In an uncapped league, like the MLB, it's pretty much a game of who's willing the pay the most for the best players. It would be money wasted if we didn't average a World Series win every 4-5 years since 1900. But we do. And we're bout to get another one. If the NFL went uncapped, you're telling me you wouldn't want the Titans to throw the checkbook at every superstar available? Of course you would, because we want our teams to succeed. And mine is. I don't need sympathy, just more World Series', please.

5. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

A very good, well stated point sir. You are absolutely right, and I revoke my remark about our small market team drowning without a cap.

6. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

Thanks Coltkiller. Apprecitate that.

7. Titans&SkinsFan

Titans&SkinsFan The future is wearing #10

I would have loved for Al to stay with the Titans...but that wasn't going to happen. So the next best thing happened...he went to the Redskins. I pretty much didn't want him to be in another team in the AFC South or NFC East.

Seeing him during his Titans' career, I don't expect him to do what many of the Redskins' fans think he will do.

8. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Albert playing at 350 lbs means he wont play 10 games this year. The other team that has issues is dallas if we get a cba. Snyder and Jones dont want a cap or an agreement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar