Unsung Titans Heroes

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by MJTitans, Nov 10, 2008.

?
  1. Dave Ball

3.1%
  2. Vincent Fuller

18.8%
  3. Eric King

15.6%
  4. Jake Scott

9.4%
  5. Lavelle Hawkins

3.1%
  6. Stephen Tulloch

31.3%
  7. Other

18.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Ok, so with so much love to spread around on a 9-0 team we all know by now who the core players are that have made it happen. So let's give some props to the guys who aren't the star players, but have had to step up to keep the Titans undefeated.

Dave Ball We've been without KVB for almost a month and it shows, but did any of us expect Ball to hold down the fort so well?

Vincent Fuller He's made some key plays in the secondary with games on the line. Griffin is the star, but Vinny has really stepped up his play this year.

Eric King Harper's gone down a few times this year, and King has stepped in without missing a beat. He's tackled well, played tight in coverage and has also made some key 4th Q stops.

Jake Scott As the newcomer in the group, he could have been the weak link on this line. We haven't had to mention his name yet, and there's a good reason to mention his name now.

Lavelle Hawkins 6 receptions for 54 yards isn't a fantasy season, but in recent weeks he's kept critical drives alive and shown potential that the Titans haven't seen at WR since Brandon Jones was a rookie.

Stephen Tulloch The weakest link of the starting front 7 at a position that has been weak for years on this team. But he's holding his own now, and with the help of pro-bowl talent around him is a reason the run D has held up when KVB and AH aren't on the field.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

jake scott has played the worst out of all the o-linemen.

3. MJTitans

No doubt... that's my point. In years past D lines would be lining up over the weak link and blowing up plays. Instead Collins has been upright, and Lendale/CW are running up the middle. It only takes 1 guy to screw things up, and Scott hasn't been that guy.

But in the end I think my pick is Dave Ball. He has a tall order filling in for KVB, and while we've had trouble getting QB pressure, and teams are doubling AH and running on us - he's held the ship together, and even made some key plays.

4. Fry

like the bears did yesterday? brian urlacher AND mike brown almost took the handoff from collins on a run to CJ.

5. MJTitans

I must have been watching another Titans team all year... the one where the undersized rookie has been running through huge holes up the middle to lead the AFC in rushing. The one that has faced linebackers loading the line of scrimmage to stop the run, and still rarely succeeding. If your argument is that it takes 9 men in the box for one of the league's best rushing defenses to stop our run game and take advantage of our weakest link, then you are arguing my point exactly. Mawae, Roos and Stewart are the stars of our line. Scott is the unsung weakest link who has held his own, IMO.

6. Fry

you know most of johnson's long runs have been on the left side, right? the only one on the right was the draw against the bengals when scott didn't even block anyone.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I really can't see how anyone could dog the Titans OL right now. They're much improved over last year, IMO. I think you can look at red zone success for proof. Collins has been sacked five times all season? We have one of the league's top rushing games.

What are you guys expecting? The Bears needed nine players to shut down the Titans run game yesterday and was torched through the air.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. MJTitans

And Lendale's touchdown Sunday was to the right - Mawae led up the gut while Scott shoved Tommie Harris out of the picture.

You're totally missing the point here. This is my list of guys that could easily be the reason this team could be 4-5 instead of 9-0. In the past 3 years or so, we've had our core players set. Very little in the starting lineup, especially on D, has changed - and yet the team is winning games they used to lose. I think it's partly due to the bottom 10 players on the roster being much better than the bottom 10 in previous years. We have holes in the roster, but those holes aren't killing us anymore. I'm guessing Scott is not your favorite of these 6 guys - so who do you think has stepped up?

9. Fry

out of the 6 on there i voted for tulloch, but i think scaife should be on there.

alge crumpler was brought in to be the security blanket and he's been good in spots, but scaife has been pretty dominant.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I have to agree...Scaife is a must sign after this season

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar