Upcoming changes for goTitans.com

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TitanJeff, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

What's the deal with the front page?
    Due to no longer having the time to manually update the front page, I'm moving towards a page which updates automatically and is designed to compliment the forum.

What you are seeing now is not what you'll see at the start of the 2010 season. I'm currently testing the reliability of various news feeds. When the front page is finished, it will be a place to quickly catch up with Tennessee Titans news, twitter feeds, the latest and most active forum threads, video and audio feeds and more. The goal here is to allow a fan to go to one place and catch up with the team in less than a minute's time.

What else can we expect to happen before the 2010 season?

Some of the changes will be "behind-the-scenes" and go unnoticed by our members. Others will be. Besides a new front page, here's a quick rundown:

1. New, faster server. The days of the database error are nearing the end. We'll be making a switch in a few months to server which can handle our cpu needs. Yes, even on gameday.

2. New design. Though some of you are new to the forum, we've had the same design now for three years. It's time to make some changes.

3. Updated forum software. This is the biggest change you'll notice. Our current forum software is outdated and at risk for hacking and other issues. vBulletin made a dramatic update to their software earlier this year. It's more secure with more features such as a build-in blog and CMS. Since I hesitate to make any switch as soon as new software is introduced, I'm waiting for more bugs to be squashed and more of those extras (like the gameroom, high-five, etc.) to be written for this new version.

Obviously, not all will embrace change. But I've done (and continue to do) research which I feel will improve the user experience.

When will this happen?

I think our server switch will happen in mid-May with, hopefully, the forum software update and design changes to be in place by training camp.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in this forum.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Will there be any day's we won't be able to log-in?

3. TitanJeff

There shouldn't be but I know bugs arise. If the front page does not allow you to log in, go to the forum by clicking the "goForum" menu option.

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Is it safe to say no new server before the NFL draft?

5. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

I think this is a great idea. WordPress has some great widgets and plugins that tie in nicely with vBull, twitter, news feeds, not to mention it's very search engine friendly. Are you leaning towards a wordpress site?

6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I took a vote and those who favored the update won (1-0)...

7. TitanJeff

No. And I find that unacceptable.

Seriously, we can expect 3-5 days of downtime so I thought it better to make the move after the draft.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Cool, thanks for the warning, TJ!

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

lol. Jeff beat me to "unacceptable" :ha:

10. TitanJeff

As part of this update, vBulletin created their own CMS. I think the jury is still out as to whether or not it'll do what we need it to but I'll either go with it or Wordpress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar