Velasco to face wall of beef in Wilfork, Love

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Sep 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Fernando Velasco’s second career start at center will come with a sizable challenge on Sunday.

Velasco, who started a game at center in 2010, will spend much of his afternoon trying to unearth a couple of very large men — Patriots defensive tackles Vince Wilfork (6-2, 325 pounds) and Kyle Love (6-1, 315 pounds).

Wilfork is of course the beast of the two, a former first-round draft pick who has twice been named an All-Pro.

“That’s two big men that take up a lot of space, and you can’t underestimate, they’re not just run stoppers,” Titans coach Mike Munchak said. “Wilfork, especially, has made plays on the quarterback, had sacks, intercepted passes. The guy has done things that it’s hard to believe what he is able to do with his size.

“It’s going to be a battle upfront for us with them to create space. If we want to get a running game going, it’s going to have to be controlling those two guys.”

The Patriots switched between a 4-3 and 3-4 defense last season, so the possibility exists that Wilfork could move outside as well.

“(Wilfork) may play over (right tackle David Stewart) depending if they’re playing some 3-4, or if they’re playing the 4-3 he’ll be with the guards,” Munchak said. “They’re smart how they use people. They kind of look and see what you do as an offensive team, and they try to take your strengths away.”

Source: Titans Insider

2. nbtoppers2

nbtoppers2 Pro Bowler

wilfork hasn't been 325 since HS

3. jplusip

jplusip Pro Bowler

When you face a wall of beef there's only one thing to do...

... make hamburgers!

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Or punch it.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. Super-PAT

Super-PAT Practice Squad

Wilfork is incredibly athletic, he still hold the Florida state high school shot-put record. He moves better than I've ever seen for somebody his size, he is our best D-lineman, can play any position on the defense and most of the spots on offense. There has been talk of putting him in as a fullback in short yardage, similar to how Vrabel was used as a tight end. And he had as many interceptions last year as Jason McCourty. I woudn't want to make my 2nd career start against Wilfork that's for sure.

He thinks he can play QB better than TB12, so you know he has confidence too... :cool:
    http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/s...wilfork-wouldnt-play-running-back-and-center/

Love is also a really good player for us, we just signed him to an extension I think he's in for a breakout year.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Wilfork is going to occupy a big area on Sunday. It's probably going to be Velasco's toughest challenge this season. I hope Bruce is giving him a lot of help with Harris or Hutch.

I look for lots of misdirection run by CJ on Sunday. Try to get the big man's own momentum to take him out of the play.

7. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Harris may get blown up by these guys if his knee or whatever is not fully back.

8. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

If Vince plays like he did in the playoffs last year, CJ and Locker are in for a long long day.

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

We've got some beef too. Velasco sees Casey and Martin daily and those two have similar bodies to Wilfork and Love.

10. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Cant be worse than Amano

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar