Verner Adops Finny's Role

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Source: http://ten.247sports.com/Article/Alterraun-Verner-is-back-as-the-nickelback-for-the-Titans-74955

I've been saying for a long time that I think ATV is a great CB and potentially a future stud. IMO after another year he could prove that he is better than J-Mac.

His coverage skills are great as you all know, but he is also a very good tackler. Finny might hit harder, but this guy is just as good if not better at wrapping people up.

I really think he will handle this role very well. Plus I remember when he was playing slot in his rookie year, he was making all types of plays. He was very good at jumping slant routes and swing passes, making plays on both WRs and RBs.

I'm very eager to see what this kid can do. They quoted him saying he likes to blitz as well, I wonder if he's got a trick or two there as well.

In the modern NFL you need three good CBs and we truly had that with Finny here. However, till they fix both the pass rush and safety play, it wouldn't have showed or really mattered. So until then, I say take the time to develop one of the younger guys, because I can easily see Hawkins or Tommie as a starter. They both look to have more than just starter potential.

More importantly, the Titans could potentially get a '2 for 1' if they can sign both of these guys next year for close to 10/12M a year (shared between them). Finny commanded 10M a year but I'd rather keep these two guys over him for what could end up being even cheaper.

I just hope these guys are still around and playing well when our pass rush is fixed, our LBs mature a bit, and our safties wake up (thats just for Griff really); all with Jake starting.

2. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Verner has better instincts then our other CBs. Add that to his quicker than fast reactions and you have a really good nickel corner. I've been saying this all along, and apparently it's where he feels more confident. Just better for us cuz we have multiple options with better speed for the outside.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I like Verner, after 4-5 plays vs any QB he all of a sudden looks like an All-Pro. This guy gets it.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

IMO this isn't big news, most of us knew this was likely going to be what happened. The real story is can Tommie Campbell, Chris Hawkins or Coty Sensabaugh keep Ryan Mouton off the field, cause if Mouton plays we're going to lose.

• High Five High Five x 4
  5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

If they don't do something before the season on JMac and he has a solid season he is going to be looking for about 10 mil himself. Since he is going to probably get a 5 yr, $50 mil deal if he gets to FA I'd lock him up now for a 6yr, ~$50 mil deal now where we can take some of the hit this year. He might even sign for a little less than that. Remember Brandon Carr got 5 yrs, 50 mil and McCourty is in his category if not better.

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Could prove he's better than JMac?

I think it's funny that before last season we all agreed Verner WAS better than JMac.

And he is. No question in my mind.

I trust Verner more than I do Mccourty.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I thought potentially the best alignment would be with Cambell and McCourty on the outside (speed and size) and Verner in the nickel spot when Campbell is ready. Verner is ideal as a NB and I could even see him making some good money down the road even if that is his specialty.

Mouton was going to have an up hill battle but he probably isn't as bad as he seems. He played before when he wasn't ready (most people remember his 2 starts as a rookie). After all he was an earlier round pick than Coty and is going into his 4th season. His main issue however is if he isn't significantly better than Hawkins there isn't much reason to keep him if he is battling for the last spot available. Why cut Hawkins when this will be Mouton's last year anyway? If it is close you keep the guy who you will have cheap the next year (technically Hawkins is only signed for one year but certainly would sign again for cheap).

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Yeah, but shouldn't have been drafted at all.

he was drafted as a special teams guy... and look how great he's been at that. lol

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

It is a tough call and McCourty had a pretty solid year. Verner was one of the top CBs last year in yards per pass which is pretty impressive since he played outside last season (Finnigan was #1) so I might agree. Overall Verner was 6th in yards per pass, 12th in success rate and 6th in YAC. One area McCourty wasn't real good in was yards per pass (6.8) and was ranked 31st. By the way Samuel was ranked 3rd, 3rd and 2nd in all three categories and was statistically by far the best CB for the Eagles last season.

All three Titans CBs were outstanding in allowed yards after the catch last year.

http://footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2012/best-cornerback-charting-stats-2011

10. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

McCourty has been on a steady climb tho. While many of us saw Verner make big splashes, he is more suited for the inside. I think role depending, I trust McCourty more on the outside now than I did verners rookie season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar