Verner replaces injured return man Williams

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Nov 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

From columnist David Climer …

Cornerback Alterraun Verner stepped in as kickoff and punt returner for the Titans after Damian Williams suffered a hip injury in the second quarter.

Verner returned a kickoff for 17 yards and a punt for 11. The difference between handling returns in practice and in a game was dramatic, he said.

“It’s 100 percent different,” he said. “You’re facing live bullets. You have people trying to kill you out there — not literally. After the first one I caught and ran a little bit, it got a little easier.”

Midway through the fourth quarter, Verner chose not to catch a Jacksonville punt that wound up being downed on the 1-yard line by LaRoy Reynolds. Coach Mike Munchak challenged the call, arguing that Reynolds’ foot had touched the goal line before he downed the ball, but the call was upheld.

“I thought he touched the line, and that’s what I told the ref,” Verner said. “I showed him the divot on the line but obviously there could’ve been a million divots out there.”

Kickoff and punt returns have been an issue for the Titans all season. Darius Reynaud was cut after the San Francisco game, with Williams stepping in against St. Louis last week.

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

Reynayd to Williams to Verner.

We keep getting slower and slower at that position. Put CJ or KW or SOMEONE back there.. Tommy Campbell.. come on now. Lets bring back Haynesworth and have him return kicks. Maybe he could drag the coverage team for TDs and positive yardage.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I don't trust CJ back there......

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

surprisingly Williams was also a little bit of a disappointment at KR, so this is not a big deal. Might even be an improvement.

5. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Pretty soon teams will intentionally try to kick to the 3 yard line just so our kick returners will return the kick to the 8 yard line.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Verner is too valuable to be returning. They just brought in a guy to the practice squad who might get the job.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Time for him to earn his pay check

8. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

lol reminds me of lagarette :cigar: returning kicks for new england

9. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

really, i thought he did pretty well. he hadn't done it in a very long time and its definitely something you have to get used to, especially since NFL speed is very different than NCAA.

ohh and remember how i told you taller return men are susceptible to injuries.... this is nothing new... but you still choose to argue that any coach would want a taller and faster guy... no bro, they want smaller and quicker guys for this exact reason...

I still maintain that if every coach made his KR/PR a 6ft+ guy, 4 games later, more than 50-75% of them would be injured... lanky return men are just waiting to be folded or have their legs destroyed....

10. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I am typically strongly opposed to the "X player is too valuable to return kicks" line of thinking. But in this case I agree. Season is toast. No sense risking one of our best players who looks to be a key piece of the defense for years to come.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar