Very encouraging review for Cloverfield

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by CRUDS, Jan 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Godzilla movies became popular in Japan after WWII. Social psychologists have said their fascination came from being attacked and having cities destroyed by the US, and Godzilla represented the outside forces (Allies). Seeing cities in your country attacked from outside and annihilated has a profound effect on a nations psyche.

I wonder if all the movies we've seen the past few years showing US cities being destroyed come from our own psychological trauma, after the disturbing images of 9/11?

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

The original Gojira specifically was a reaction to the devastation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki with the monster itself a reflection of the US - 10 years after the bombs. All that US-friendly Raymond Burr footage was added later. The Burr-less version is a whole different and far more dramatic movie..
    One subsequent Godzilla movie was immediately made following the original then the monster disappeared for an entire decade. Ironically that next movie pitted Japan's iconic beast against America's favorite big guy King Kong in another statement to the US. Godzilla's glory years were actually in the 60's..
    Many of the Kaiju represent different countries and themes. King Ghidorah represents China in all it's golden dragon-esque glory. Seesar was Korea, Hedora represented environmentally irresponsible humanity itself...
    We need more Godzilla threads!

3. What did Matthew Broderick represent?

:bricks:

4. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Japan's struggle to find leisure time ;)

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Let's not even discuss the turdlet that was the 1998 TriStar American Godzilla - or that monster lovingly referred to as GINO (Godzilla In Name Only) by real Kaiju fans.
    Here's a favorite scene of the real Godzilla quickly dispatching GINO:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=JOISbaA2G18

6. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

I heard it straight blew chunks, box office blast, shows what exposure can blow things up into

7. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

wow, how bad was that?

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

It was an ok movie. Nothing explained about the monster.

Just a mindless monster movie using the Blair Witch method. Any sequels will just be either the same, or a normal movie which will probably blow.

9. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I'm hoping for no sequels. That would just be silly.

No, nothing is explained about the monster. I'm pretty sure that nobody at Rob's party were in the monster identification business ;)

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Here's a zany idea: Acquiring info or analysis to decide if something is worth your time might be logical!
    And it was. Watching this movie at home, I lasted 30 minutes. It's an instant headache.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar