Veteran QB

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Delaware Titan, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. But he still has to learn to manage an NFL offense. That takes time, no matter how good he's going to be.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I still say that a QB can learn more playing than they can sitting on the sidelines. The issue is do we have a player who can win more games this year. If we don't then play Young.

There is a real fallacy that McNair, being allowed to sit for 2 years before becoming the full time starter was worthwhile. In McNair's first full year as a starter he had a 70 QB rating and only completed 52% of his passes. He had as many ints as TDs. The next 3 years McNair's QB rating improved to around 80 but he never broke 60% on his completions during that time frame and as anyone knows our offense was very limited back then. His lifetime QB rating is only 83.
    Considering Young is not coming from a small school and has played against much better competion in college I see no reason he couldn't do as well this year as the starter as McNair did in his 3rd year. By the way Mac ran 101 times that year for almost 700 yards and scored 8 TDs. Young's running stats could easily be comparible if not better IMO.
    I would take a 70 QB rating season with 700 yards rushing by Young this year so he can be ready for 2007. IMO he could easily do better than that.

3. Sukrillux

Sukrillux Guest

The Titans currently have 5 QBs on their roster. I don't know what their purpose was in signing the Texas Tech rookie as I don't know much about him. I speculate he is there to compete for a spot on the team during training camp and preseason. We already know that we will have Volek and Young. I don't know what will happen with Mauck, but maybe he is the reason they brought in the Texas Tech kid. Maybe they will let them battle for a 3rd spot or something. As for bringing in a veteran, I don't like the idea of a veteran coming in for 1-2 years as a starter and then retiring. However, if it helps them win games, I am all for it. I would like to see the whole Volek as starter, (a veteran) as 2nd, and Young as 3rd, but that makes me think about why the Titans would sign the new #11 Cody Hodges from Texas Tech. Maybe it's too early to tell what they are planning to do... Maybe they don't even know for sure. I am sure of one thing, in the back of Floyd Reese's mind, he knows that they will have to say goodbye to #9 unless something strange happens... Haven't got a clue as to what that would be...

4. I'm all for starting Young as a rookie if he's ready. I wouldn't want to do it from the start, but I'd be comfortable with it after he's had a few weeks to digest the offense.

5. ditto he will be ready in a few weeks, one because of his superb athleticism but hes not dumb, some of u might think so but he knew every play in the texas playbook and its a very thick book

6. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

I personally would like to see Young play maybe a few series in each game for starters. See how he handles it and go from there. I think there is value in letting him sit and watch before going out and trying to do it. Physically he is ready to start but he needs to learn how to be an NFL QB.

BTW anyone who thinks Cutler or Leinart are ready to start in the NFL now needs to remember what NFL legends like Bradshaw, Elway, Manning, and many many other did when they were thrown in as rookies. They all fell flat on their faces but they all got better. Only Marino was a success his rookie season, Montana became a success his second season. There is no telling what Vince can do but I don't look for him or any other rookie QB to be setting the world on fire.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I'm sorry. I don't want to spunk on a good thread but I'm thinking Young and the playoffs.

8. thnom

thnom Camp Fodder

I don't know about anybody else but I think we need continuity. Changing the VET QB just isn't that. We need VY as the #2 THIS season (2006) and start at least 2 games. He needs to be ready to be the starter in 2007 with a capable vet BEHIND him in case of injury - not anything else.

9. Aday25

Aday25 TITANSDAY

#11 Hodges didn't get drafted

1.(I would assume) because of the way he holds the ball...He holds the ball laces down (however he's quit accurate with it)...

2. and that there were choices in the draft that just fit the other teams better

3. and there were 3 good QBs already in the draft.

He wasn't half bad in college. He lead a good offense that racked up yardage. But the odds are against him...We need a vet not another rookie QB. But you never know...He might make it.:))

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I would leave the QB situation as it is currently, presuming Steve is gone. I also think the coaches and staff reaaally can't wait to see Vince play. They're going to say "we won't rush him" so much this offseason that you just know they can't wait to play him. The only way I think Vince manages to see no starting time this year is if 1)Steve is around and healthy or 2) Volek straight up tears it up, and stays healthy. Otherwise I'd expect to see Vince Young start midway, with a tough decision around the bye week.

Collins would be a mistake, IMO. Billy deserves the PT, and I think the hunger will make him perform well for as long as he can. I have no faith in Kerry Collins. I honestly see more advantage to bringing in Joey Harrington, please forgive me. You know Volek will likely be released after this season to look for a starting job elsewhere. Harrington would be allowed to play the following season if he can outperform Vince, then be relegated to a backup role the following year, where he might actually be decent.

Of the available FA QBs, Dilfer would have been my guy. Humble, team guy, no problem sharing his experience with younger guys and can manage a football game. I'm glad he gets a chance to go back to the west coast, though, which is what he wanted.

Right now, Volek is just as valuable as any FA QB out there. I would really rather spend the money on Ty Law over Kerry Collins, etc. -- make the D as stout as possible and matriculate the ball, control the clock. To this end, I'm really glad we added LenDale. Now if it's a QB who will play for the minimum, that might be different, so long as the D is complete first. But I still don't like messing with the roster, and this vet I would not bring in to play ahead of Billy. Only Steve would get that vote from me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar