Video: Titans Pass Rush vs Steelers 3 final drives

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by earlers, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

With the DBs we have, I don't see why we wouldn't do this. I'd think Tulloch would be great at blitzing up the middle. Our DBs tackle really well so between them, KB and Thorton I don't see much risk compared to the potential reward. If it's a run he stuffs it or forces it outside where I feel good about our tackling on the edge. If it's a pass he disrupts the passing lane down the middle, and either makes the play on the QB or forces him out of the pocket where I feel good about our DEs chasing him down. Seems win-win to me.

2. Lava

Lava Camp Fodder

Somebody send this to Fisher/Cecil. I felt sick watching this, something's got to change.

I don't know how you could possibly expect to win when you play this type of defense. I'll never understand why we went away from what worked so well earlier in the game.

3. MJTitans

That's just it - we didn't get away from what worked earlier in the game... we got pressure with 4 most of the night. The Steelers finally started keeping 6 or 7 in protection, and we didn't adjust. Which I'm fine with if it works - theoretically if we had 7 or 8 men covering 3 WRs there's a good chance someone is going to come down with an INT. But instead there were massive holes in the zone, coupled with 6 or 7 seconds for Ben to find them.

When we did bring 5 or 6 Ben recognized it and completed quick passes. But they were short ones, and he also had a couple incompletions. When we didn't bring pressure he hit everything, and usually for much longer completions.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Let me ask everyone this. If the offense is keeping in 7 to block 4 so we have 7 in the secondary to stop 3, is that smart defense?

To me it is IF you can get pressure on the QB in a reasonable amount of time. Ultimately, that's why you rush players, right? When that didn't happen, Ben found the holes.

If Cecil had brought 6 to go against a max protect and they were stonewalled, as happened a few times in the game, then Ben sits in the pocket the same amount of time but with two less in the zone or hits the quick slant with less defenders around to make a stop.

My point here is that there is no simple solution here and everything is a trade-off. What I thought was the most effective was showing blitz and then coming out of it. The Steelers OL had trouble with their assignments and I have no idea why the Titans D didn't do it more often.

5. Tuk88

Tuk88 Camp Fodder

Note that you don't necessarily have to blitz, but sometimes giving the impression that you're going to blitz throws off the QB's rhythm. Once you let a QB get into a rhythm, it's game over.

Watch when the Titans line up at least five on the line of scrimmage, you can see it disrupt's Big Ben's rhythm whether they actually blitzed or not. When they line up four, Ben already knows he can relax into his rhythm as chances are pretty darn good he'll have plenty of time to throw.

Having a predictable pass rush also allows the OL to get into a pass blocking rhythm. It just gets uglier and uglier. Based on all this, it was depressingly hard not to expect the Steelers to march down the field once they won the coin toss in OT if things didn't change, and they didn't.

6. latiger12

latiger12 Camp Fodder

You have to get pressure or those guys will be in trouble. You cant cover effectively in man for very long.

7. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

If we cant stop them on D, then we need to put up more points on O.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Collins blew that game. Period. All Grandpa did was say 'heads like that wins games. He should have started OT by saying "heads I win, tails you lose" but all he did was say 'heads'. F-ing loser. These refs are stupid they would have fallen for it. Go fix your 401K you gray beard bumb. And take C.J. the other bumb-Agrrr::grrr: homeless loser hobo stupid dumb poo lazy butt bum bumbsterbate fool who cant score TD's. Every Coaches Dream, HA! Yea right. You suck. Give the ball to me I'll score.

9. MJTitans

On one hand I think this could have won the game for us... our secondary is where the playmakers are on our defense. Makes sense to show blitz and pull back into coverage to bait an INT or at least have a great shot at knocking any ball down. But playing 100% zone isn't going to work in that case. Too many soft spots with Holmes and Ward to just weave through. I wouldn't have minded the 3-man rush if we had at least had 1 man assigned to each of those 2 guys all the time, with the rest providing help in zone coverage. Instead we sat back in the secondary and got picked apart, which just shouldn't happen when you have the numbers to double-team every receiver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar