Vince + Nelly = a good cause ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Puck, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Makin' it rain a bad judgment for Young

<p><em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em></p> <p>Quarterback is a judgment job - can your guy make consistently good judgments or not?</p> <p>I don't want to over-extrapolate here, and Vince Young is entitled to head out to any concert and make any appearance he wants. If he wants to pull a wad of bills out of his pocket and toss them off the stage into the crowd, well that's his prerogative.</p> <p>And it's then everyone else's prerogative to discuss and debate it.</p> <p>So, unsurprisingly, <a href="http://www.tmz.com/videos?autoplay=true&mediaKey=ff33ade1-bb04-466e-baf8-eed90370bb7d" target="_blank">this video</a> that surfaced recently at TMZ.com has created a lot of new VY buzz.</p> <p>Some in Nashville deem it harmless fun.</p> <p>I see it as an example of Young's lack of progress in the judgment department.</p> <p>Young has none of the off-the-field background of Jones, who's out of the league after flopping in Tennessee and Dallas with a long string of incidents that required police involvement.</p> <p>But Young was around to see Jones in action. And anyone who was with the Titans -- or in Nashville, for that matter -- as the disaster known as Pacman Jones unfolded has to understand the images and emotions "makin' it rain" now evoke for many people.</p> <p>Maybe it once meant something else. But since Jones took it on, since it became his thing, if you do it, you echo his actions -- at least on some level. And that's not a guy the NFL wants to see any of its players mirroring.</p> <p>I emailed Young's agent, Major Adams, for a comment on this and have not heard back from him.</p> <p>Maybe Young didn't think it through and failed to make the connection. Maybe he knew perfectly well that he was doing a version of something that 90 percent of sports fans associate with Jones and his often abhorrent, and sometimes even criminal, behavior.</p> <p>Either way, it's bad judgment. And it's not the sort of development that's going to add any life to the idea that the Titans have to get Young in the huddle.</p>

More...

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Once again Kuharsky steals a GoTitans thread and posts it as his news opinion.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Two very separate issues in my book:

1. Vince as QB: What he does on the field will be what defines the public's perception of him as an NFL player. Few can reasonably argue he has failed to deliver thus far and IMO has rightfully earned every bit of criticism regarding his talent (or lack of) at reading defenses, red zone scoring and turnovers. He also has earned every bit of the perception that he is not properly motivated (vis a vis the initial refusal to go back into the Jags game).

2. This incident is bogus. People weren't bragging about "Willie's" time "sitting out"- they were celebrating his release. There was some very positive comments at the 7:46 mark encouraging him about responsibility and accountability. Sounded to me like they were there to support his return to society and helping make certain he had ample opportunity to re-enter in a productive manner. And Vince only sprinkled a few drops- he never made it rain.

I agree with those that think Kuharsky is again resorting to douche-bag sensationalism.

4. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

It's funny, I read all these posts in defense and in opposition of what VY did here. For any other 26 y/o I'd give him the benefit of the doubt since he's young and hasn't been arrested for anything, BUT, for a public figure/star who is trying to keep his job and elevate his standing with the team, he is just plain dumb and immature.

Maybe I'm skewed because when I was his age (in the stone ages) I had a wife and 2 kids. My oldest is his age. Someday these fools must step up and be responsible citizens rather than hip-hop thugs. For the money he's paid, he's not a very good ambassador for the Titans or the NFL.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I'm just a mean old man, cause this is what I've really meant in my post about using common sense. :thumb:

6. smileyforall

smileyforall Da Blue Mamba

I'm pretty sure that people don't think of jones when people say make it rain. I'll give paul the benefit of the doubt as I'm sure he has never listened to hip hop or rap. I'd also love to see his sources.....

7. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

Everyday Vince makes those two single digit Wonderlic scores more believable and pertinent.

Idiot.

8. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Funny cause that's the only thing I'm reminded of when someone says "make it rain". I'd venture to say the only ones who aren't are the ones with interests in the whole gansta culture.

Pacman and "making it rain" is a universally recognized punchline now.

9. Ewker

Ewker Starter

if you know anything by watching this site I am not a Young fan at all. I thought it was a mistake drafting and still think it is a mistake.

Anywho not really a good comparison between you and Young. Did you have millions of dollars or struggling to get by, you were married and he is single, you had kids he doesn't that we are aware of. I know at 26 I was pretty wild and if I had a few million dollars in the bank there is no telling what I would have done.

I still don't mind the video. I just think he made a bad call to be associated with criminals. Instead of throwing the money to the crowd he should have been trying to hookup with a female there unless they aren't his thing :gag:

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

At 26 if you asked me if I wanted to make it rain I'da thought you were taking me to an Indian reservation. I did some dumb sh*t at that age, but nuthin that dumb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar