Vince "Red Zone" Young

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GoT, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

If VY can play at all I would like to see him running the red zone O. Of course that would rely on kerryfreakincollins to actually get the Titans into the red zone, but I am willing to assume he can do it.

This would maximize the Young factor for the snaps he actually takes, plus it would limit his pratice time also.

I don't expect to actually see Fisher do this, but it think it would work for a week or two.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

My gut tells me that if his wheels are good enough to go in the red zone, he'd play the entire game.

I don't know if I like the idea if him coming in cold.

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

your right of course

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  4. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I'd rather KFC doesn't play a single snap other than handing the ball to our RBs for a run. Although he had decent numbers, in reality he did throw two interceptions in only 20 minutes. We were lucky they were reversed.

I think VY will be good to go for the game. Fish is simply trying to confuse the Texans and mess up their gameplan. What better way to do that with than with 2 QBs who play an entirely different game style.

5. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Fish is definitely playing with the Texans, but the release of Miller to make room for a QB makes me think Fish doesn't really expect Young to play - despite the talk that he might. If he were that close, I'd expect Kerry to start with VY just being the backup... they did that with McNair several times when he was close but they wanted to give him a rest to heal more. We might see Vince, but unless he practices this week I'd be surprised if we do.

6. desfletcher316

desfletcher316 Occasional visitor

He doesn't need to practice to play.heck steve done it enough and played well..anyway the way he's played the last 2 weeks,he looks like he hasn't been practicing at all.:ha:who knows what he might have done in the 4th tho,his favourite quarter.

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

wonder how the TD:FG ratio would have been had VY been the red zone QB?

just wondering. I think VY makes a few plays with his legs and Titan approach 50 points against the cows.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree VY should be a help in the red zone but so far that has simply not been the case. VY has only 3 passing TDs and one running TD. He has to get better than that IMO. Some better play calling by Chow might be nice as well.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

10. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

It's tough to watch from the outside and diagnose what the problem really is. Hartsock's comments were interesting - he said they had to execute better, and I'm sure that is true. But the comment: "What the problem is isn't really my jurisdiction. It's our job to go out and execute and we've got to execute better" sure seems to imply that maybe the players aren't comfortable with some of the plays being called. Here's what we called (in & close to the redzone) and when:

1st
    run - 3 (White)
    pass incomplete (Scaife)
    pass - 4 (Gage)
    pass incomplete (Scaife)
    pass - 2 (Henry)
    run - 1, TD (White)
    pass - 5 (White)
    run - 0 (White)
    run - 7 (Henry)
    run - 1 (Henry)
    run - 1 (White)

2nd
    (& 7) pass incomplete (Hartsock)
    (& 10) pass - 7 (Scaife)
    (& 6) run - 2 (White)
    (& 6) pass - 4 (White)
    (& 5) pass - 4 (R. Williams)
    (& 10) run reverse - lost 6 (R. Williams)
    (& 3) run - 4 (Henry)
    (& 4) run - 4, TD (Henry)
    (& 9) run - 2 (White)

3rd
    (& 7) pass - 6 (Scaife), fumble
    (& 4) pass - 6 (Hartsock)
    (& 3) pass incomplete (R. Williams)
    (& 4) pass incomplete (R. Williams)
    (& 8) pass incomplete (Gage) - interference called
    (& 2) pass incomplete (R. Williams)
    (& 16) pass incomplete (White)
    (& 7) run - 3 (Henry)

The mix of run & pass was
    run 12
    pass 16 (8 incomplete)

So it appears we were more aggressive with the pass, but looking at the mix, we weren't necessarily smart about when and how we passed. We also didn't appear to execute well. Of the 16 passes, all but the 1 in the endzone to Gage were short. In fact, that was the only time we took a shot in the endzone. I recall many of them being well played on D - a couple incompletes to Williams he had someone blanketing him.

On 3rd down, we ran 8 plays. 7 passes (5 consecutive incomplete and 1 fumble), and 1 run. That's pretty bad. 4 times we had 3rd and less than 4, all passes - 3 incomplete and 1 1st down.

So we're mixing it up, but not surprising any one it seems. A 50% completion ratio in the redzone hurts. And 3rd down appears to be our biggest problem - converting 1-8 with 5 incomplete. I'm sure it's part execution, but also ALL the passes are short dump offs. The D can already play up close because it's the redzone, and we're inviting it even more by never actually going into the endzone. They don't have to defend the endzone - just the 1st down. Then they get us in 3rd and they know we are going to pass short. Too predictable. Balanced, but predictable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar