Vince "Red Zone" Young

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GoT, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teegee

teegee Guest

Yeah most of the passes were thrown underneath. Now without seeing coaches tape, it is hard to say whether there were any receivers were open in the endzone (I would guess probably not). Collins did throw it in the end zone a couple of times, but basically he was just getting rid of the ball when no one appeared to be open.

I don't know if VY can throw a fade route, but I know Collins is usually good with that type of throw, and that's th type of route that seems to have pretty good success in the red zone. It would also help if the Titans had a receiver who could go up and get a jump ball (like Burress with the Giants or Moss with the Patriots). Gage played basketball at Missouri -- maybe he is a possibility to do that? Of course, jump ball throws are far more suseptible to being intercepted...

As for the run plays, they all seemed fairly straightforward. The one trick play (the reverse) didn't work at all, but maybe the types of runs needed to be mixed up a little more. I didn't see any draws, for instance, and it didn't seemed like anything was designed to be run outside (but again I don't have any tape to back up this belief).

As for the belief that the red zone efficiency would have been better Sunday if VY was playing -- I'm not sure about that. Maybe, maybe not. The Titans have struggled in the red zone all year, not just in his last game. His ability to scramble and/or move away from pressure hasn't translated in RZ scores as much as I thought it would. Whther that's because of the playcalling, the defense or VY's reluctance to run, I don't know -- probably a little bit of all of the above. (There's also the possibility that VY wouldn't have gotten the Titans into the RZ as much as Collins did in the first place. Again, maybe he would have, maybe he wouldn't have)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar