Vince Young has never..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TheSureThing, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitansWillWin1

TitansWillWin1 Camp Fodder

i hope you enjoy watching collins lose again this week, cause this will be the last time you ever get to see your precious qb start an NFL game!!!

2. Stephenson

Stephenson Camp Fodder

Vince lead us to alot of 4th Quarter wins his Rookie year, but his 2nd year he just kinda lost it.

He didn't lead us to one 4th Quarter game winning drive.

And way to make up that stat.

Vince Young's 4th Quarter stats in 2007.

6 TD's 11 INT 19 Sacks 50.2 Passer Rating

Vince Young's 4th Quarter stats in 2006.
    12 TD's 8 INT 17 Sacks 70.5 Passer Rating

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Well, guys, here's my two cents on the whole thing.

First off, there is no doubt Kerry can do things Vince can't at this point in time. He was putting some lasers on raindrops out there today. He certainly came out to get some redemption today from what I saw. Some people are blaming the receivers, but let me put it this way. Our receivers made some great catches today. Late in the game, they started dropping balls. Problem is twofold here: Collins kept throwing them hard. As the game progressed, balls were thrown high, a little more off target, and most of all, the ball was wet. I think people forget.

But the big problem is what I've suspected and hoped was a fluke at season's end last year: Collins cannot sustain his firepower anymore, even when he brings his A game. In an ideal world, seriously, I'd see Kerry for 2.5 - 3 quarters, and Vince for the rest. Kerry's lack of touch at points, as much as it went our way at the beginning, were just somewhat counterproductive toward the end. Kerry throws low percentage passes when they go that distance and at that velocity. He is the defense's antithesis for plays given up over 20 yards. Check his passer rating in this statistic.

This is a weird moment, and one that Fisher will probably pass on...and it may come to bite him. To me the debate isn't "can Kerry beat the Jags?" I think he can. But as I don't think he can sustain his best throughout a game, I think a game with him winning won't be indicative the Titans are back on track. This will continue.

The question is, Do you put Vince in now? The answer is clearly yes, and I'll tell you why it's now that he should go back, and not later: First, though, boo to the fools who want to see the season mathematically over before putting Vince in. That's pretty dumb, in my opinion.

Vince needs to return to the scene of the crime of his greatest failure in his football life - a game against the Jags. It's time to make him, or break him. Makes no sense to let him start v. the Colts, or Pats, or Jags in week 7. What we have here is a "Through the Looking Glass - A Tale of Two Quart-a-backs." Vince and Kerry switched places in such a spot, and the maximum portal of opportunity to get the season back on track is returning to the same situation. Let Vince face down his fears, if he can. The dividends it can pay now, and for the future are much greater than letting Collins continue this way.

You have to go back to Collins versus the Jets last year, versus the Texans last year, versus the Ravens last year, and on to this year, to see the trend fully. He played well in some of those games, or as well as he could, but it's been a-coming. Like I said, he's great, but sadly, he just cannot sustain.

The Titans have a lot of problems. Posters want to point to special teams, coaching issues, quarterback, defense, secondary...but they have to start fixing them as they can. Sure, there are myriad reasons we've lost the first three games, but this is how I see it: despite the failures of everyone on the team, the quarterback is the guy who is supposed to put the team on his back when no one else can do it. That guy is viewed as the ultimate team leader for that very reason. We've been spoiled by a top 5 defense and just can't hide behind that anymore. It's broke. It needs fixed. Since that's the case, you've got one guy who gets multiple opportunities to make something happen, and that's Kerry Collins.

I hope this team learned it's lesson in 2006. Everyone's alluded to the fact that if we win one of those first four games, two of which we should have won, we would have been in the playoffs three years running. We need to NOT go 0-4, 0-5, 0-6, or having just one win by week 7 to make a change. That's quitting on the season. I don't care if Vince doesn't play all season. McNabb was benched one game last year, and he got the message.

Kerry needs to sit, and he needs to sit now. I won't even address the posters who "know" what Vince will do in the future based on past circumstances. None of us wanted Kerry for that very reason, and he surpassed our expectations. You've got to let people fail and be willing to give them a chance at redemption. Anyone who doesn't understand this doesn't understand life.

Sorry, I guess I did address you mugs after all.

But what I'm really trying to say is this: Kerry needs to sit. Vince needs to face his demons against Jacksonville. Now.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

0-10, 0 yards, 0 touchdowns, 1 interception.

^^ Kerry Collins' stat-line in the 4th Q. :hmm:

5. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Please tell me where you found that Young's career passer rating in the 4th quarter is 95.7. Because like Stephenson I found that his 4th quarter passer rating for 07 was 50.2.

By comparison Brodie Croyle had a 73.4 4th quarter passer rating in 07 and he's never won a game. So yea Young's 4th quarter magic or the fact that he "just wins games" is a myth, the defense is winning those games.

6. davidsrobbins

davidsrobbins Camp Fodder

since 2004 VY is 40-12, so yes he does "just win games" no matter who you try to give the credit to.

7. amstrf89

amstrf89 Starter

By comparison Kerry Collins has a 25.9 passer rating in the 4th quarter this season.

8. Stephenson

Stephenson Camp Fodder

40-12? He came into the NFL in 2006! If we went 40-12 we must have had a perfect season that I must have missed.

9. Pacman 4 HoF

Pacman 4 HoF Starter

VY is a champion, he knows how to win... i mean he won the rose bowl guys... COME ON. FUTURE HOF

10. Jedimasterbyrd

Jedimasterbyrd Time Traveler/Jewel Thief

How's this one? Lets cut Vince AND Kerry this off season, sign or draft someone else (not Tebow) and finally end the most outplayed debate in Titans forum history. I see Vince Young threads in my freaking sleep at this point...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar