Vince Young - Season One Analysis

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dark_Tower, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Tower

Dark_Tower Camp Fodder

While this is my first thread started on this board, I've lurked since preseason, and I've noticed that whenever Vince Young's abilities are brought up, it is a very polarizing topic. On one hand, you have Texas Longhorn fans who might have never followed the Titans if the Titans didn't sign VY., and have annointed him the second coming. On the other hand, you have the known critics of Vince Young, most notably Ewker. Whenever the two meet in a thread, there are sparks, hot words and much conflict.

What I would like to try in this thread is to have a rational analysis of Vince Young's performance this season in five key areas. In each area, we can talk about what he is good at and where he needs to improve. I'll start everything off.

Leadership/Intangibles: This is one of Vince's strong points. From all accounts, the team seems to trust and respect Vince Young, and they believe that he can make plays happen at any given moment when he is on the field. He is a proven performer in the clutch, and he has a solid grasp of the two minute drill - a critical skill for NFL QBs. He seems to have this area down pat.

Mechanics: This is one of the areas where Vince is going to have to show improvement. It was highlighted as one of his problem areas before the season started, and at times has hurt him. That being said, we have seen dramatic improvements in his footwork from his first couple of starts. Conversely, his throwing motion is not playing havoc with his throws as first predicted. There haven't been a large number of tipped balls (which was a serious concern) and he has shown the ability to thrown a frozen rope upon occasion. With offseason mini-camps and instruction, this area should see marked improvement in 2007.

Accuracy: Vince's accuracy has improved greatly since the beginning of the season; his completion percentage has increased every month as the 2006 season progressed. But we all have seen some errant throws from Vince in games, and there are cases where Vince has missed the easy throw. IMO, working with his receivers in the off-season will help him gain chemistry with his receivers. Combined with footwork training, we should see an improvement of around 4 to 5 percent in his completion percentage. If Vince Young completes 55-56% of his passes next year, combining that with his scrambling skills will make VY a formidable foe for opposing defenses.

Pocket Presence: Vince Young has had a better than advertised feel for the pocket. He has had his share of ill-advised sacks, but VY appears to be making a concisous attempt to either a) stay in the pocket and throw or b) create on the move. To this observer, he doesn't really have happy feet, because most of VY's moves are made with purpose. A good majority of the mistakes that he has made has been from seeing different coverages, which I'll talk about in decision-making.

Decisionmaking: This has been an area which has been good at times for Vince, but is a growth area based upon inexperience. Nothing can substitute for experience in this area, and it has showed at times this season. He has done a good job at scrambling to set up the pass, and has not thrown a large number of balls up for grabs. He had 13 interceptions in 15 games played, which is about right for a rookie quarterback. (By comparison, Peyton Manning had 28 his rookie season, Tom Brady had 12 in his first full season of action, Ben Rothlesburger had 11 and Donovan McNabb had 13 in his first full season of action). VY is still getting a feel for reading coverages, blitzes and knowing when exactly to take off - but his decisionmaking hasn't been dramatically flawed. Study, coaching and experience will aid VY's progression in this area.

Summary: Vince Young had a soild rookie season. He clearly has areas of his game which need to be addressed, but clearly surpassed most of the expectations of NFL observers, the majority of whom rated him a 2-3 year project. If Vince Young stays hungry, studies, works with his receivers and gets good QB coaching along with continuity of the offensive system, then we can expect great things from Vince Young as Titan fans.

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

This is a very good summation and overall breakdown of our new QB. I can't argue with you here. The only area that has me a little antsy is the mechanics. Get your rest, Vince Young. You've earned it. But be ready to come back early in the offseason and work in this area. This will affect the other areas of his playing, but I look forward to how it improves his accuracy in particular. Even though Chow has coached him a season, I don't really feel they've begun to scratch the surface in this area. Vince is already special. This could nearly make him impossible, aside from being human.

Oh, and welcome to the board, Dark Tower. Kick off your shoes. Stay awhile.

3. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

Great analysis man. Vince definitely has a lot of things that he needs to improve upon. But most of us didn't think that he would be starting until 2008, and i'm extremely happy that he proved each and every one of us wrong. He got by this season on instincts, once he improves upon his weaknesses, look the hell out.

4. Dark_Tower

Dark_Tower Camp Fodder

Thanks for the warm welcome. I just might have to stick around. :yes:

I can't really argue with your analysis. VY was always considered the QB with the greatest celing in the draft. Scouts just were afraid that you'd have to wait awhile to see his upside (if it appeared). We're starting to see it, but this offseason will be crucial in his development.

5. Vince10

Vince10 Camp Fodder

Good post. People who predicted a lot of tipped balls do not understand why balls are tipped. It aint arm angle. NFL DLs are 6'5" with very long arms. You wont throw it over them. Having a quick release, a feel for passing lanes, and being a threat to run will keep tipped balls to a minimum.

6. JMB54

JMB54 Waitin on a Win!

Great post DT. I agree with most of what you outlined. One thing I noticed that I dont like with Vince is the way he carries the ball when he is scrambling in the pocket. I would like to see two hands on the ball rather than just in the one. This is nothing major but the ball was knocked from his grasp a few times because of this.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Good stuff. Can I put it on the front page? I think a lot of people would enjoy reading it.

8. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

great post.
    welcome to the board.

9. zackmann

zackmann Guest

welcome to the board

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Whoo hoo! Front page already. That's quite the splash. Is that a rookie record? I'm voting Dark_Tower as the Go Titans Offensive Rookie of the Year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar