Vince Young: victim of his surroundings or himself?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jose7, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

The "no push" OL.

2. cdspro

cdspro Guest

The offense certainly was not great, by any means, although perhaps not "bad", but Vince Young was the definition of a bad QB, perhaps the worst full-time starting QB in the NFL this year. Doesn't mean it is time to give up on him, but there is really no doubt in my mind that he was a "bad" QB this year...

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

he's a victim of himself and his surroundings.

i think early on he decided not to run, then when he wanted to run he was injured.

and throwing a bunch of WRs and TEs that wouldn't start on a lot of teams probably didn't help.

4. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

I guess the Titans weren't comfortable with McNair either? Running the ball in the redzone is called Fisher ball. That is what Fisher likes to do; play it safe and make sure you come away with points.

No one is saying Vince doesn't have work to do, he does, but he is not the biggest problem with this team. If I were drafting for this team I would pick

1. Best WR available
    2. Best TE available
    3. Best RB available

In FA I would get a solid WR prospect and some solid Oline prospects to solidify the blocking.

Them I would give them 2 years to jell.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Well then that was a terrible philosophy by Fisher and Reese.

First of all, had Vince played any of those games, we likely would've won one and been in the playoffs LAST year.

Second, if Reese and Fisher had really gameplanned not to play Vince last season, how moronic was it for Fisher to not smooth things over and help Volek be our QB last year.

Or, bring in a vet much earlier in the offseason.

Or, retain McNair.

One of the things that really made me lose my faith in Fisher, was when Collins was brought it, it was going to be an "open competition" between Collins and Volek for the starter.

How does Volek respond? He gets one pass in the final preseason game. A bomb TD. That was Volek's last play as a Titan.

That sure was some fair competition.

And what was Volek's big gripe? That no one could succeed in Chow's offense. The jury is DEFINATELY still out on that subject.

6. DJB

DJB Starter

I think many peoples expectations for VY on this team of scrubs are out of whack.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

There is nothing wrong with allowing a rookie QB to learn behind a competent QB. Problem is, the Titans didn't have one.

He did play a little in all of them, best I remember. But no way Fisher would have known Collins would play so poorly.

Lots more to what went down than Volek not playing well in the preseason. Some of it has been discussed in this forum. Some may never be known.

A legit criticism. Fisher may have wanted Collins early on but Reese didn't like the price or felt Volek needed to play the preseason to show whether he could handle it. Who knows?

Also well-discussed in this forum. The Titans offer was fair but McNair knew someone would pay more and he was right. I wonder how the Ratbirds feel about that deal now?

Even Volek didn't believe that.

Some will want Chow out regardless of results because they don't like the style of offense. Schwartz helped produce a top ten defense this season yet many still want him gone.

8. Uhmm... I would not touch a running back in the 3rd.. 3 Young runningbacks.. yeaa.. way to build a great team

9. Overalls

Overalls Starter

Jeff,

You do realize to some people this sounds like Texan fans defending David Carr.

10. guitarjunkie

guitarjunkie We're Screwed...

Good Point..:ha:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar