Volek......a teacher?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

My heading said "teacher". What I meant was mentor. I had argued in the past that offering Steve 10 mil to play a year or so to mentor the new QB was stupid. Why pay a QB coach AND a QB to do the same job? Accually, they are not the same job IMO. One has good chaulkboard ideas whereas the other has accually been on the field to put the chaulkboard stuff into actions.

2. Toly

Toly Free your mind

The whole mentor/teacher thing is overrated. It's a combination of good coaching and talent that prepares a rookie QB to play in the NFL. Whether McNair or Volek is the starter won't make any difference - he can surely learn a thing or two and get some advice, but it won't be definitive to his success.

As an example, Palmer has proven that he is a great QB so far, and he had Kitna - an average QB at best (even when after that good season a couple of years ago). Brees learnt by trial and error, and so on.

3. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

I think Chow can do a lot more 'teaching' than Volek.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

RollTide - when 4/6th of your major Recieving corps are 1st or 2nd year players (Jones, Roby, Williams and Troupe) you dont have much other choice of who to throw to.

Because they caught 54% doesn't mean it was a success for McNair.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Exactly right Gunny. My point was that McNair didn't seem interested in doing the extra work he and the other guys needed to do to improve their production. The big excuse at the begginning of the year was the guys were young and we had a new offense. Because McNair basically threw in the towel after the 1st quarter of the season the offense never gelled like it could have. For all we know the FO and coaches are ticked off by McNair's attitude and really don't care if he comes back or not.

As for Volek, maybe he has a better attitude and if handed the job early can start gelling with the guys ASAP. He will have one year of Chow's offense under his belt and some familiarity with the WRs. Volek only started one game last year and despite all the criticism didn't play as poorly as everyone makes out. Is he the answer? Probally not but I have no problem giving him a shot while the rookie waits in the wings.

6. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

Volek could be a starting QB on some of the teams in the league, if our defense really steps up (hard to imagine imagine with ******shwartz) then he may not have to be great. Defense wins championships, offense wins crowds.

7. Banshee2

Banshee2 Guest

Palmer has given a LOT of credit to following Kitna his first year- learning how to prep for games, practice habits, etc. Brees struggled for a while (which is why they drafted Rivers in the first place). Holding the clipboard is not a bad plan for 1-2 years, IMO.

If you build the defense, they will come...errr, win

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gunny...

Good point gunny but you have not proven that my point is wrong. My guess is that you won't even try.

Mcnair completed 292 passes in 2005. That's 42 more passes than he completed in his mvp year. It's not just a high percentage but a high number.

You are also aware that all three of our rookie wide recievers had a higher yards per catch than drew bennett so they were productive yards and all three combined had more TDs than bennett and calico combined. We don't even need to talk about calico do we?

Can you in any way statstically disprove my point?

Bottom line is whether mcnair completed a lot of passes to young players because he wanted to or had no choice nobody with a brain can say he ignored them.

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

have you got that pass distribution chart handy Mr. Analyst?
    Seems like McNair threw to the TE's primarily...
    Just another fruity rumor out there to confuse simple minded commoners like myself?
    Another myth I suppose perpetrated on idiot morons?

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Soxcat...

Brother or not i'll gladly b-slap you across the room when you post nonsense. And the idea that mcnair threw in the towel is nonsense. In mcnair's last 6 starts he had a higher passing rating than his season rating 4 times. He was over 90 3 times. In his last 2 full games played he had his second and third best rushing efforts of the year so he wasn't afraid to do that.

Half the whole team quit down the stretch so why not dick around with them contract wise and leave steve alone.

I do agree that volek is better than some think. If he can stay healthy(Big if) he is better than kerry collins. Personally i don't care if he teaches our new QB a thing. Just come to camp in shape and be ready to play every week. Mcnair is better but volek is not bad.

The whole volek as teacher concept is dumb. Why would a life long backup care about helping someone else? Just show up and play well and let the coaching staff develop the kid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar