Volek Leaves for Chargers with Mixed Feelings

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Sep 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: As Billy Volek was leaving for San Diego, he had mixed feelings about his trade. "I guess I never really thought this would happen," Volek said. "And the funny thing is, to this day, I still don't know why I am not starting (for the Titans). The only thing that I can think of is I was kind of a scapegoat for the offense, not putting up 40-50 points in the preseason. Volek, signed by the Titans as an undrafted free agent in 2000, was traded to the Chargers for a conditional sixth round pick in the '07 draft. The pick will move to a fifth if he plays 50% of the snaps. "If you want to point the finger at me, point the finger at me. I am fine with that. But let me know why I am not playing, and that never happened here. No one told me. Yes, I leave with some bitterness. But I am trying to think of the good times. And I am excited about my new opportunity."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Billy, I'm behind you, Brotha. I hope you find the treatment you deserve, and the starting spot opens up for you quickly. You deserve at least an honest chance to prove yourself, and I'm sorry to see that your time here was thrown to waste.
    Godspeed.

3. Ewker

Ewker Starter

very interesting article. After reading this and the post by another person yesterday it leads me to believe it was more Chow wanting to get rid of Volek.
    I wonder about the SI article. Funny how no one in the Titans FO said that article was untrue. Seems to me it came from the FO very possibily Chow.

4. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

If Chow was behind this, its backfiring big time. His offense has been even worse with Collins under center.

Frankly, I thought Billy showed an amazing amount of restraint in that interview given what he's gone through the past month. You can debate whether or not the guy is a starter, but there's no doubt he's one of the classiest players that ever played in Tennessee. Best of luck to him in San Diego.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I'm also glad he got to voice some of his complaints publically. Makes no sense. Good luck, Billy. This year, you were the best of us. :sad2:

6. Toly

Toly Free your mind

What's funnier is how Volek says he has no idea why he was demoted from the starting spot, yet there are plenty of people in here giving reasons as to why - and I'm not talking about the lame "he sucks" reasons.

I'd like to assume that players have better insight on their own situation than fans... you would think.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Logic has no place here....

8. Ewker

Ewker Starter

I guess you missed this in the article

"On Tuesday, Volek stopped by Fisher's office, and he said goodbye to quarterbacks coach Craig Johnson. Volek said he firmly believes he had the backing of most the offensive staff, including offensive line coach Mike Munchak, running backs coach Sherman Smith, tight ends coach John Zernhelt and receivers coach Ray Sherman.

But at no time during a 20-minute interview did Volek mention offensive coordinator Norm Chow. And with questions about his work ethic surfacing in recent weeks, Volek said he feels like someone has intentionally tried to hurt his reputation. He refused to name names.

"They or he or it would never approach me,'' Volek said. "I am a grown man, and if you have a problem with me, come say it to my face. A lot of people are trying to get other people to point the finger and say, 'Billy Volek is not playing because of this' or 'Billy Volek is not paying because of that.' But they don't want to own up to why that is"

what is the old saying "If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all."

Notice he said nothing about Chow!

9. Toly

Toly Free your mind

I think you misunderstood my post. This is exactly what I was talking about.

There are people in here that pretend they knew exactly what happened to Volek, when in realty they were just making things up. Even Volek admits that he didn't know what happened, so how these people know is beyond me.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

When we start connecting the dots I think we can start to see more clearly what is going on. Remember last year when Mac came into camp in the best shape of his life and by seasons end he could hardly bear to show up to practice. Of course we all blamed Mac thinking he had simply lost the desire to play at a high level. Apparently Mac was not getting along with Chow and his college level mentality either. Not saying Mac had not diminished some in talent but certainly a guy who had a reputation of always laying everything he had into the game of football was frustrated. IMO when the Titans wanted Mac to renegotiate his salary to a lower CAP number his decision was not all about money. Why would Mac want to come back and play in an offensive system that was nothing short of garbage knowing this team had no chance at success? It had to be hard for mac to leave the team and city he had loved for all those years.
    In steps Volek. There wasn't a lack of effort on Volek's part at first. Volek had to be the most motivated QB in the NFL at the start of the year because he knew this was going to be his last shot to prove himself. Then when things don't go well to a large part because Chow is clueless Volek got frustrated. Sure the guy lost it when the entire blame for the success of the offense was laid on Billy. Forget the fact that we had no running game to speak of and the play calling was moronic. Blame the guy with the 87 life time QB rating.
    Well we have seen what a difference Collins can make. I would be very surprised if Collins ever has success in this offense and I would be very surprised if Brown and Bennett don't leave town 10 minutes after the last play of the season. Heck, Brown wanted out before the season started and now I can understand why. No skill player in this offensive system is going to be as successfull as they could be in a better system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar