Volek Prepared to Take Over Starting QB Role

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, May 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: QB Billy Volek has been keeping close watch on the McNair trade talks and feels his days with the Titans are nearing its close. “With everything that’s gone on, I really don’t think Steve will be back,” Volek said. With the pick of Vince Young this weekend, Volek understands that he is only a bridge between McNair and Young but welcomes the opportunity. “I look at Drew Brees, when the Chargers got Phillip Rivers,” Volek said. “Brees was able to keep the job, be productive and started for two years. Then he went and got a deal with New Orleans.” He also said he'd welcome competition if the Titans decide to bring in Kerry Collins or Tommy Maddox to compete with for the starting job this season.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

in other words -

"I really hope Steve won't be back"

"I look at Drew Brees and think I will pull of the same numbers and get the millions I have always wanted"

"Collins and Maddox - F*** off if you know what it good for you."

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Mauck needs to update his resume.

4. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

collins I could understand, now granted he sucks, but not as bad as Tommy the "I get sacked and get a concussion at the same time, oh and did I mention I threw and somehow fumbled the ball too " Maddox.... friggin aye...

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The problem with volek...

He is only signed for this year because we didn't pick up the option on his contract. What if vince needs 2 years to be ready to start? I don't want to be in limbo for 2007 because this is a team that could be a real super bowl contender by then.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Volek's potential backups...

Harrington....no

Collins......no

The guy i would love but we can't get him is david garrard the current backup for the jags. This guy completed 58% of his passes last year with 4 TDs and only 1 int. He is the strongest running QB in the game. When leftwich is out with injury there is no drop off. The jags have a #3 with great potential, more of a pure passer so maybe they would be willing to part with this guy.

Patrick ramsey might be available. The jets resigned pennington and they like bollinger.

Rohan davey might be worth taking a chance on as our #3. He hardly played at all in new england over 4 seasons and will likely get pushed out of arizona with lienart there.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

They could do a two-year deal with whoever they bring in. Guarantee one with an option bonus for the second in case Young isn't ready or just to insure quality depth in '07.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I would just as soon go with the devil I know and make the QBs Volek, Mauck and Young. At least Mauck would have been here for 2 years plus he lead the scout team so he has had plenty of snaps in pratice.

Outside of that if Titans have to get a FA QB I say look at the arena league and grab one of those guys. At least they don't bring all the baggage a Maddox or Collins brings.

9. JMB54

JMB54 Waitin on a Win!

I'm with GoT on this one. Let Volek run the show this year and possibly sign him to an extension and let Mauck and Young be the #2 and 3.

10. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I don't mind leaving it to billy, but I sure don't want Mattox. I'd take Collins if he wasn't expensive, but I don't want Tommy, his career is over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar