Volek vs. Collins (not GATFT)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, Jun 30, 2008.

?
  1. Collins

28 vote(s)
    49.1%
  2. Volek

29 vote(s)
    50.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I'm sorry gentlemen, but I will never agree with that point of view.

As a head coach, it should never be acceptable to put the team at a disadvantage, which is exactly what Fisher did.

What Fisher should have done, was have a closed door meeting with himself, Chow, and Volek. Get everything out in the air, and figure a way to work for the sake of the team. Pulling a veteran QB with no familiarity with the offense 1 week before the start of the regular season was an extremely irresponsbile gamble, that possibly cost us the playoffs that year, and at best, led for 4 weeks of horrid football that the fans and owner should not have had to endure.

If it was just completely unworkable with Volek, then I still think Fisher should've started him for the first and maybe second week of the season while Collins picked up the offense. Get a trade in the works and ship him out before the deadline, but NEVER throw games away because of a disagreement.

I have never read anywhere that Volek did not have the confidence of his teammates. Maybe he didn't have the confidence of his coaches, but that's different.

So Fisher's pride is more important than winning football games? How does that work in the locker room?

I gotta tell ya, if I was a player, and I knew the coach was starting a worse option at QB simply because of disagreements with the more prepared QB, then I would be ****ing pissed and lose large amounts of respect for the coach. I mean, the coach benches Volek because he isn't preparing hard enough... and replaces him with someone that isn't prepared at all with the offense. That's pride before the fall, and we all saw that is how it worked out.

It's always been my perspective that players are more important than the coaches. In the NFL, at the professional level, I feel the coaches should be working for the players as much as the players work for the coaches. Clearly that is not a philosophy that Fisher would agree with, nor would many coaches perhaps, but it's one I think is correct.

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Fisher is god! end thread. :ha:

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It's easy to think pride had a lot to do with it until you remember Fisher's butt was on-the-line. A bad final record in a contract season very well could have cost him his job.

I think there has to more a lot more to this entire story than what was ever made public.

4. maximus

maximus Starter

He's a great backup for Utah Blaze of the Arena league

5. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

Neil O'Donnell

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

now I gave due recognition to O'Donnell when I opted not to put his name in this thing for him being the obvious choice and a runaway victor.

7. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

I love Kerry Collins. He's such a cool guy. He is a former drinking, cussing, act a fool at a bar dude and I loves it. I like him almost as much as I love Neil O'Donnell.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Got a thing for old white men with money? shocking.

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

You will see him on TV, any given Sunday
    Win the Superbowl and drive off in a Hyundai

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

18 years, 18 years
    And on her 18th birthday, he found out it wasn't his

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar