VY Discussion - Shotgun vs Dropback

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SupDawg, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

I was just thinking about the game from last Sunday. Something I will bring up here to discuss, that I don't think has had its fair share of discussing yet.

In the second half of the Giants victory, Vince was almost exclusively in the shotgun. I remember a stat from early on in the season where his rating behind the center and shotgun were like night and day. It seemed to me that our comeback and Vince's breakout game came because we used him in shotgun for the whole second half. ( I think).

Here are my questions:

1. Has Vince improved behind center throughout the year?
    2. Will the Titans give up on Vince being behind center to eek out a few more victories this year?
    3. Can the Titans develop a pro style offense with Vince in the shotgun that could be sustained?

We all know that when we gave up on the run on Sunday and put Vince in the shotgun, he looked like he was in college again. I think the similarities between him on Sunday and the Rose Bowl game are almost frightening.

Thoughts?

2. Ewker

Ewker Starter

My opinions

1. Has Vince improved behind center throughout the year?........No

2. Will the Titans give up on Vince being behind center to eek out a few more victories this year?........Yes

3. Can the Titans develop a pro style offense with Vince in the shotgun that could be sustained?......No

He is and will always be more of a runner than a passer

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

1. i think he has improved from under center. not in a monumental way, but if you were to look at his stats from under center in his first 4 games and compare them to his last 4, i think there would be decent improvement. i think during his first 4 games his rating was some crazy number like 16.8 or something.

2. yeah, they will put him in the shotgun late in the game if it means a win. that's why they play the game.

3. no, you can't run an exclusive shotgun offense and be successful in the nfl. it's almost impossible to have a legit running game from the shotgun if you were to play it exclusively.

4. ronsweet

ronsweet Guest

hi seems to me that vince young is learning,and learning and learning about the pro game,
    in the last few weeks he has made loads of mistakes, but when push came to shove on sunday, he got the job done no matter how.
    titans are very lucky to have him no matter what his style but it will still take time,
    I live in the UK and I know most of you pay good money to go and see a losing team,but it is obvious to me that things are getting better and titans will not get a better coach than fisher.
    P.S. coming to nashville in june 2006 for CMA festival,1st time in LP field for a country concert.
    nevermind !!!
    regards from the colonies.

5. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Hope you have a good time at the CMA, and welcome to this board.

right back at ya!

6. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Are you a time traveler? :))

7. Great Scott!!!

8. Vince is clearly more of a threat in the shotgun right now. It may always remain that way. But he's a rookie and they need to let him learn to run the offense better as a dropback passer.

9. Vince10

Vince10 Camp Fodder

Vince was on all game last week, under center as well as from the gun. Two fumbles, dropped passes, no running game, and a stalled drive inside the 5 kept it from resulting in points, but he was completing passes and moving the chains.

Running on 1st and 2nd and asking him to convert 3rd and long is a pretty tall order. Since that is most of what we have been doing from under center, it is unrealistic to expect much different results, especially given Vince's lack of experience.

10. zackmann

zackmann Guest

he has improved under center

and

we are a better offense with him in shotgun...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar