VY....exposed

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TNThunder, Dec 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutler is Bronco, so are you saying he's your choice? :ha:

2. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Ewww! No and I take insult that you even suggest it. :suspect:

Our QB gallops like a horse so I guess it fits my metaphor?

Manning is a Colt but if his leg came up bum I would not have him shot ..... maybe.

3. Ewker

Ewker Starter

BlazingArrow#9, yes I wanted Cutler as the Titans QB, I never denied it. I also know it takes more than one person to make a team. To bad those Texas/Young groupies don't know that.

4. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

Ewker you are very right. I hope we can develop our D into a powerhouse it once was. But at the same time, if VY can bring more and more fans to our team, I am all for it!

5. Nine

Nine Starter

The thing is, nobody is questioning Pacman's game-altering presence....or the contributions of Chris Hope, Kevin Mawae, and Micheal Roos....nobody wonders whether Travis Henry has anything left in the tank, or if Cortland Finnegan will ever become a complete football player.

But even after his considerable accomplishments, critics are constantly questioning Vince Young's ability to perform at a consistently high level, or whether he'll ever become a "real" NFL QB. Sure, he's struggled at times, but that's to be expected....he is a rookie, after all.

Very few rookies come into the NFL as a finished product....especially QB's. It's only natural to notice the shortcomings, but VY's critics tend to emphasize his shortcomings over his remarkable assets, and seem to dismiss out-of-hand his most valuable assetts, many of which cannot be taught or coached up.

Things like accuracy and mechanics are easily addressed and improved by good coaching and a strong work ethic. But things like leadership, poise, confidence, raw playmaking ability, athleticism, and the ability to make plays when it counts...this stuff cannot be measured, nor can it be coached. You either have it or you don't.

And Vince Young has it in spades.

6. The reason people questioned Young's future success in the NFL is because he doesn't fit into the traditional QB mold. He's known more for his mobility than for his passing. Usually that type of QB can't succeed in the NFL. VY may well be one of those rare exceptions to the rule. It certainly seems that way so far.

That said, he still has a lot to prove. And as a Cutler fan myself (I said I'd back any of the 3 QBs the Titans took), I think he could easily end up the better QB down the road. But time will tell...

7. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

And now we are back where we started. We all knew Vince could run, and certainly could handle pressure. The only question is can he be a pocket QB when the need arises? In college teams just didn't have enough overall talent to stop Vince, even though they knew he was going to run. Different story in the NFL. As teams see him more and more, they will learn to scheme for him, so he has to take his passing skills to a new level. I hope he can show the same improvement here that he did in Texas from his sophmore year to his junior.

8. Torch7

Torch7 Camp Fodder

One more swing at the dead horse...

Vince was not stellar from the pocket this season, but there is not enough evidence for me from his Rookie Season to indicate he is not going to improve.

Nice College Flashback:
    When a pro-Vince fan, mentions his college accomplishments, the debate shifts to well, he can't do that in the Pro's. Now that he has had reasonable amounts of success running the ball in the Pro's. The argument is okay, well can he become a pocket passer. IMHO is a valid question.

I would gather that you did not see many Longhorn games from Vince's Junior year. So let me lay a bit of a framework. He played for a coach who strongly believes, in establishing the run game, first. And if it begins to click, they never really air it out. Even when Chris Simms, was QB, and Roy Williams was(reciever) they didn't go vertical alot, it drove me crazy. The team would have had a 1000 yard rusher if not for injuries, besides Young. Rushers: JCharles freshman(906 yards) RTaylor(561 yards) SYoung (487 yards) HMelton freshman(434 yards)

The offense averaged 50 points a game...so Vince was sitting on the bench by the 3rd Quarter of most games, When the Majority of the Rushing yards came into play. Because Mac didn't want to Run up the scores. I think someone on the Longhorns message board, did the numbers of the time he was sitting on the bench, because of blowouts, and it equaled almost 3 games. Vince still managed to throw for 3083 yards, with 6 different recievers getting significant catches (None of these receivers had a single Touchdown catch, prior to the season starting). Jay Cutler in comparison through 21 TDs and for 3,073 yards. Not saying Vince is a better passer than Cutler, just creating a baseline, to state statistically Young was more than a Rushing QB in College.

Fast forward to the present. All that I wrote before, doesn't matter one Iota, now, he is in the pros. I don't think anyone will debate that Young doesn't need to improve, Vince probably knows this more than anyone else on this board. He has the type of personality that hates to lose, this is why you see the pouting after loses. He will get better, he will put in work, he will silence critics, trust me. Has anyone ever witnessed a rookie, or 2nd year QB, that didn't need to improve? If after next season, he has not improved, bombard the board with, He needs to improve posts, but for now, sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. I think you will be pleasantly suprised TNThunder :)

9. 10ECTyrant

10ECTyrant What! Tip Jar Donor

:werd:

10. I don't think anyone is suggesting that he won't improve. He already improved significantly from his first start.

That said, it's a question of how much he will improve. For that, we'll just have to wait and see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar