WAL-MART is going to take over the world

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

This is old thining. You put a McD's in a Walmart why leave? The main smalll business that wins off a Walmart is lunch people. Give the people something to eat while they do there mega shopping and everyones wins. Walmart propoganda because they eventually took that market too. I am suprise Walmart does not try to make malls that are all Walmart. Make shops for audio, food, cloths ...... :gag: shut up man. You all read this hear first Arrow is on the target with this one.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

so what does WalMart sell exactly?

3. It would be a shorter list to tell you what Wal-Mart doesn't sell...

No... really...

It's kind of like asking what kind of food you can buy in a grocery (BTW, Wal-Mart sells food, too...).

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

so they are an all purpose store.

5. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Yep, a competitor to K-Mart.

But there's a little history to know, Gunny:

Wal-Mart was started by a guy named Sam Walton, who was a total All-American dude. He shopped for the best deals, and passed them on. He would only buy American-made products. He soon became a big dog in the retail industry.
    Then he died.
    After all the mourning stopped, Wal-Mart quickly became a purveyor of cheap Chinese imports, selling on price instead of quality or value. Sam Walton's picture came off of the boardroom wall, so to speak. It quickly got the reputation of being a shopper's paradise for rednecks and trailer trash who can't afford a decent shower curtain. Stores were thrown up everywhere they could find a little traffic, contributing to the rise of urban sprawl and "Generica"--the part of every city that looks exactly like every other city: a huge crowded parking lot filled with box stores: Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Lowe's, Home Depot, Linens-N-Things, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc, etc, sprinkled with a heavy dose of average chain restaurants and fast-food joints. A Mecca of American consumerism.

Wal-Mart had a side business called Sam's Club: a "warehouse club" in which you paid membership dues in return for the "priviledge" of buying darn near anything in bulk quantities. No kitchen pantry is big enough for their cereal boxes.
    Costco is their current biggest competitor, and shopping there is a major weekend event for Hawaiians. They like to buy toilet paper in hundred-roll cases at a time. They're very paranoid about running out of toilet paper here. That's no joke...I'm dead serious about that.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Again, the objective is to get goods the consumer demands to the consumer at the cheapest price. That is NOT Walmart's objective that is the consumer's objective. We are the ones who want to but for less so we have more disposable income to buy more. Walmart meets that objective.

It is hypocritical for people to call that the "evils of captalism" while at the same time living the life of Riley because of it with our stuff. What bothers me most about the criticism of it is that it is the "poor" or "middle income" guy who benefits the most from Walmart. Instead of worrying so much about all the down trodden workers at Walmart not being able to unionize (they ALL work there by choice) why not have sympathy for the millions of people who benefit because they can buy baby diapers a little cheaper. Maybe those $80dollar or more a pair shoes are not practical for a family of 5 when the "cheap" china made ones will last long enough for the children to outgrow them. Maybe the cheaper tire prices free up enough money for a family to save a little each month because they didn't exceed their budget. Maybe there are few more Christmas gifts under the tree this year for a low income household because they didn't have to spend as much on neccesities. How about that little kid that got a bike for Chistmas because his dad could afford the $30 one at Walmart which would have cost over $100 at a bicycle store.

As for quality issues of the goods sold that becomes not a USA vs China issue but a simply economic decision on the part of the consumer. You can by a new pair of shoes each year for $20 or you can spend $100 and not have to buy shoes for a couple of years. Fine, make your decision and thank God you have the decision to make because alot of people in other countries are lucky to have shoes at all. By the way, God loves the guy in China as much as he loves the union employee in the US.

7. No one is arguing that people don't want to save money. That's the reason that Wal-Mart is so huge.

But the fact that they sell everything so cheap has consequences, as multiple people have pointed out on this thread. It's how Wal-Mart goes about their business so that they can afford to sell stuff so cheap that gives their detractors so many reasons to hate them.

You want to overlook their business practices as an inconsequential means to an end. But their business practices directly and indirectly affect tons of people in a much more negative way than saving them $5 off their groceries.

Remember, Wal-Mart is not in the business of saving people money. Wal-Mart is in the business of making money for themselves.

8. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Some of that stuff you posted Soxcat almost reads like it is out of the Wal-Mart prospectus. I mean honestly that poor kids bike story is probably carved into the whip that the managers use on the night staff. :grrhee: or as they refer to him "Senior Diablo"

9. Michi40

Michi40 Lost bullet

That economic liberalisim supports the comunism of china by making it the biggest manufacturer of the world. Cheap handwork, cheap product.

Why is it cheap handwork, instead of begining to become more rich, therefore bigger wages, therefore more importing of goods? beacuse the dont play the same rules. They are a comunist country. Even worst, they are far away from things like democracy, or civil rights. (why bother to mention workers rights)

I dont know if i could believe this but an textile industrial told me there are factory ships in international waters manufacturing the textiles... Is not like theres a container coming from china.... he told me those ships where 60 seamiles away... Who could compete against that. His family moved the factory to Marocco

:eek:

So, who is making a point in favour of comunism or capitalisim? China?

10. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I have to buy my $20 shoes every six weeks. I hate that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar