WalterFootball 4 round mock draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by GLinks, Jan 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

If we take a WR in round 1 we will not do so in round 2. However i would not mind seeing us take a TE in round 2 especially if there is one like Matellus Bennett available. I truely believe he will be the premier TE in the NFL within 3 years. Best combanation of size and speed I have seen since Kellen Windlow SR played the game. (BTW before it comes up I am not nor ever will be a fan of Texas a$m, so believe me this is not a homer thing).

I'm starting to warm up to the thought of getting Mario Manningham. No matter what I think taking Sweed in the 1st would be a huge mistake.

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I'd love it if we could get Groves in one and Manningham in two. I'd be all to glad to hope that Carlson, Cottam or Rucker was there in three.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I like that mock except I see the Titans going CB or DE in the first if there is a nice player they like on the board. IMO the WRs we can get in the 2nd might be even better pros based on all the projections I've seen. Heck, I'd rather have Bennett, Manningham or even Caldwell than Sweed. Take the best defensive player at DE or CB, maybe DT or even S in the first and then use our 2nd and 3rd round picks to get a WR and TE sounds about right to me looking at how this draft rates out value wise.

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I don't think there is a CB, DT or S worth taking at our position in the first. Most of the CBs are 2nd round talent or less. Since Ellis and Dorsey aren't options, there are no other DTs worth taking in round one. None. Rounds 2 - 3, okay. Kenny Phillips is the only round one safety, and I doubt he's as good as Griffin. He won't be there for us.

DE is the only defensive position I can see worth taking a shot on in one, and that's if Harvey, Groves or Campbell are around.

I think Manningham's stock rises more than it falls. I just wouldn't count on being able to take him late in 2 if that's our preference. I think we're going to be more proactive here than we have in the past. We're not going to watch the best players go by and take a last ditch option again like Paul Williams in three.

We could panic and take a CB in one, but I'm afraid unless it's Cason (who needs to show decent (4.4x) speed, maybe McKelvin (who I like, but think is overrated for the middle of one), it's going to be like taking Andre Woolfolk in 2003 all over again.

This is not an elite prospect draft. Senior class is weak. Juniors make it. Deep at RB, good depth at WR if not elite at top. Good OL depth, I'd wager.

These top DEs, CBs and S who are worthy of selection (Chris Long, Dorsey, Ellis, Phillips, Gholston, McKelvin, Jenkins, Smith) will mostly be gone, IMO. And some of those guys I wouldn't want if they were there -- Smith, Jenkins, for example.

Eh...I throw Rodgers-Cromartie out there, but he still has a ways to go to show he deserves first-round selection. Again, we took a tall fast corner who was over 6 feet tall and ran a sub 4.4 40. I just get a leary feeling this year.

Defenders I kind of like in one:

Harvey
    Groves
    Rodgers-etc.
    Cason(?)
    Campbell, if we lose Odom (still hesitant there)

Guess I feel like there's a bunch more wait and see types on the defensive side of the ball.

Maybe a trade down does work this year.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Groves is my choice for defense in one, however. Overall, though, I'd like to take this approach:

1 vet DE, 1 rookie
    1 vet WR, 1 rookie
    1 vet DT, 1 rookie
    1 vet CB, 1 rookie (could be a one or the other here)
    1 vet TE, 1 rookie (could be a one or the other here)
    1 vet OL, 1 rookie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar