Was it a mistake to let Nash get away?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

More stupidity and arrogance from one of the leagues "elite" coaches?

When the titans released RB damien nash early in camp we all seemed pleased. Fisher isn't taking any s**t this year was the response and I was right there with them. We all saw it as a sign that slackers were not wanted on the titans this year.

Our opinions were forged on titan reports that made it seem like nash was so out of shape and obese that simply going through one practice would put him in the cardiac care unit at st. thomas. Well now we know that wasn't exactly true. Nash hooked up with a team that has an eye for talented unwanted backs and now looks to be a cinch to make that team. Somewhere between the time we released him and saturday night nash got in shape, lost some weight and was ready to play. And he played well.

Nash vs henry:
    Some may argue that nash's impressive performance is simply an average back running against a bad defense. Those that say that don't know what they are talking about. Nash showed skills in that game. He made some nice cuts, he showed a burst through the hole, ran with power and even used a stiff arm successfully. In one run he was surrounded in the backfield, made a couple of nice moves and plowed ahead for a few yards when he could have been thrown for a loss. He showed a very good forward lean always moving the pile forward.
    Henry on the other hand has only shown some decent straight ahead power and little ability to make anyone miss. Henry looks slow and has more the look of a journeyman backup then a bonafide starting NFL back.

Give me the choice purely based on talent and i'll take nash. But we don't have that choice.

Of course it is not just talent. While henry is 2/3 done with his career and seemingly past his prime nash is just beginning his NFL career. Nash has 1045 fewer career carries.
    And what about money? Henry costs us $2.1M against the cap. Nash came dirt cheap at $392,000! We saved nothing against the cap by releasing nash but if we kept nash around and decided to cut henry we would have saved $1.4M.

Look we don't know if nash would have worked out here. Maybe his release lit a fire that didn't exist before. What we do know is that chris brown probably won't be here in 2007 and lendale's backup will be travis henry with another year of age on him.

Watch reese will feel the need to draft another back in the mid rounds next draft because of the loss of brown. A need that wouldn't have existed with nash in tow.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

uh, no.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

It was attitude and respect on this wasn't it? I went and read up on Nash's college stories. He sounded like a real dip-:banned: with the way he handled authority and how he was mouthy. Like last year's version of Pacman but with considerably less talent. I think he had Fisher in a :banned: contest on certain issues. In fact, didn't he have trouble getting to the practices in the morning, and didn't he arrive there slightly belated and miss some meetings? Whatever it was they wouldn't say he was in Fisher's doghouse for no reason.

Fisher has been the king of slack the past couple of seasons. It's evident that he has settled in the recent past. I hope he returns true to form this season and fronts like a first class ball breaker, but I won't hold my breath. I might if he presented the nad to :banned: can JC right off... that is if there was someone waiting in the wings... something that would work... but sadly no, that is the stuff of fantasy and dreams. Instead we will stand by and watch Capt. Fisher and his first mate run us into the iceberg. Today, I feel like he is asleep at the wheel.

Honestly RollTide, Nash ran that well against us for two reasons. #1 We suck #2 We cut him. Watch his next performance. I bet he won't be as impressive.

In any case, it was a loss of draft power or raw talent, whatever your view. Most people wish we would have taken someone else. Water.

It's just water.

4. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Nash would be an instant bust if he ran anything but good against the line we put in front of him last Saturday in Denver.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't think Nash will last.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Ok we suck...

So any back who runs well against us really isn't any good?

If we suck so bad then why are you not demanding the instant departure of reese and fisher? This is their team. Can we reserve judgement for at least a few more weeks?

As far as nash being a problem they thought enough of him to keep him last year when he missed a large part of camp.

As i said maybe the firing of nash made him realize that playing football for 400k was better than clerking at BP. Maybe he grabbed opportunity with both hands. We may never know.

Simply blowing it off by saying we suck does not impress me.
    :banned: :banned: :banned: :banned: Like the other guy said! Oh that was you. Well #$%@$#%^&*^&^!!!

7. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

That's all your words above.
    I said any back who didn't run well against the line we put in front of him last Saturday would be a bust.

We sucked Saturday in Denver. Haynesworth was out, they had just finished 2-a-days at Camp, and they were playing in an altitude they aren't used to.
    I'm not ready to can Reese and all the other drivel you spewed out above because I said we sucked Saturday. I don't think Saturday was an true gauge of how we are, and I don't think Nash could run against us like that again during the season with everyone healthy.

De-caff man, check it out.

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Firing the HC and GM is not logical. Shanahan eats 5th round picks for breakfast. Nash easily could go the way of Clarett. Nash was a saint of cirumstance last saturday. I've got news for you. This team has been down a while now. If you do not view the Titans as bottom feeders you need to have your head examined. I just love the way you dismiss two years of bad football just because the end of summer is near.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

SEC what the hell are you talking about?

If there is a poster that is perfectly aware of how bad we have sucked the last 2 years it is me. You must not be reading.

Think of the disclaimer for a mututal fund. Past results don't always indicate future performance. Something like that. Why would you assume we will continue to suck? What did we sign 4 quality free agents for? Why is there a draft? We damn well be better!

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Hoffa...

Hayneswoth wouldn't have been in the game at that time anyway. How is that even an issue? Nash ran on their 2nd and 3rd string teams against our second and third string teams. He didn't carry the ball until the second half.

The ole defense of KVB, thornton, thompson, sirmon, and bantum hill was not out there. Tulloch, fuller, mahawanaloona were. Whether we matched up any better is a matter of debate but the broncos coaches thought enough of nash to give him 14 carries and he played well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar