Was Patriots choice to pursue goal line stand the gutsiest call in NFL history?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CRUDS, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Considering the consequences of Seattle scoring and subsequently not having enough time to to counter with a Pats score - given the stakes there is an argument this could be the gutsiest call ever.

That said, I'd put out there that Belichick sure looked like a confused deer in headlights watching that clock slip away just before the INT..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ll-i-hoped-belichick-would-let-seahawks-score

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I thought they may let them walk in so theyd get the ball back like in Madden, sometimes that works.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  3. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

No. They put the ball in the hands of the most overrated qb ever. Smart move

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  4. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

There was what 25 seconds left?

How many timeouts did the Pats have left? One or two?

I honestly think they were going to let Lynch score... 25 seconds left and a timeout is plenty for Brady to get into field goal range.

5. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Yeah, if I were coaching I would have let them score. I told everyone I was watching the game with that they should do so.

I'm pretty sure the Pats had 2 timeouts and even if they don't let them score, I don't understand not calling a time out and saving as much time as you need. It ended up working out but the clock wasn't going to run out on Seattle and you needed all the time you could get to try to get into field goal range.

If they did let them score, that's 2 timeouts to work with to get into FG range. How sweet would an overtime Superbowl have been? I'm surprised we've had Superbowl's and no overtime games.

6. The Bukafax

The Bukafax Starter

I believe Bellichek not calling the TO to strictly save the time outs and to keep that package on the field.

If Bellichek calls the timeout there, if Pete Carrol was a smart coach he takes a knee twice and gets Bill to blow his two time outs. This gives him two shots to pound the ball in the Marshawn and controls the clock to where he wants it. Its a ballsy call but it keeps the ball in your control and gives Brady no chance.

Bill realizes if he has to go deep its going to be across the middle. Outside will be too tight. So he needs those 2 times outs. Before he gets to the 30ish when he can start running plays that lead receivers out of bounds.

Literally best thing for Bellichek to do.

7. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

That's what I'm referring to. NOBODY is anticipating Butler's play (in fact I had to see the replay just to know what happened) - but watching Belichick standing on his time outs while the clock clicks down past :25 made me wonder if he just didn't freeze like a deer in headlights..

8. RTH

RTH Meh...

Love him or hate him... master of clock management.

9. RTH

RTH Meh...

I've heard his not taking a timeout "forced" Carroll's decision...

10. The Bukafax

The Bukafax Starter

Not a chance he wasn't thinking. There was reasoning behind it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar