Washburn To Eagles? (Now confirmed)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by 24, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBisco

TheBisco Pro Bowler

There is no internet video that can express how upset this makes me. I'm going to go and drink some paint now. And the Eagles are my second favorite team! Maybe I'll just knock myself out with freon instead. PHILLY STYLE!

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Didn't watch many Titans games in 2010 huh?

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I guess for some posters i have to slowwwwwww it down a bit.

When Washburn has a guy over several seasons very often there has been little appreciation in value and in many cases a decline. See Hayes-Ford-Starks. Wouldn''t great coaching be beneficial over the long run?

Babin, KVB and Ball played well from their first season here. When each of those guys came here they were already motivated to play because their careers were on the line and they had one season contracts. Babin comes here as a 30 year old bust who has a career on the line.

If Wash did some good things to make these guys work harder and feel more appreciated then fine but what has he done with talent over the long haul?

I would love to see what kind of player Babin would be next year after he gets a new fat contract.

If you think that one camp and one preseason of coaching is the main reason Babin went from bust to good player you are stupid.

He was at the right place in the right system and motivated to keep his career going and make some money. Same with AH and Odom who only played at the top of their games when money was on the line.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

AH underperformed his talent level until his contract years. Making over $10M a year was his motivation it had nothing to do with the line coach.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Again i ask what miraculous job did Wash do to get more production out of Hayes-Haye-Marks-Ford? That's half our defensive line.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I follow you a bit here- correct me if I'm wrong. Your premise is that our DL player success in the past has been due primarily to putting previously unmotivated but talented players into our scheme with a big contract on the line. Washburn may have had some slight influence with motivation but his coaching presence was not significantly better than other DL coaches to contribute to their elevated level of play. Is that what you're suggesting?

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The way I see it, if you don't want Fisher because of he's been here 17 years, is content with mediocrity, uses outdated schemes, etc., then it should apply to all coaches who have been with the team a long period of time, using the same approach, getting mediocre results.

I like Washburn but I know it's because of his style of coaching at camp and not what he's teaching. I'm not qualified to know if he's a great position coach. If you look at results, the Titans haven't seen many strong DL players despite using a lot of high draft picks at DE/DT. Kearse was a freak. He was successful from the start based on his talents. Haynesworth only played when he was ready to get his money. Odom, LaBoy, Starks, etc. were all fairly high picks who were nothing more than mediocre.

Where Washburn shined was with a few players who were drafted high, were in the league a number of years, and were close to being out-the-door. That's KVB, Babin and Tony Brown. He got a lot of production out of those guys and I think their success had as much to do with getting in a scheme that matched their style of play and their own motivation to stay in the league as anything coaching did.

I do know we've seen a lot of undisciplined players this season. I don't buy the "aggressive style" as an excuse. It's a direct reflection on coaching.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Chuck Smith probably deserves a big share of the credit for AH taking his game up a level in 2007 and 2008. He personally coached and from that point on AH was able to sue his physical ability to dominate.

Chuck Smith is also a guy I'd like for them to replace Wash with.

I think both motivation and simply AH being a better player both contributed to his rise as one of the best DTs in the game.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Damn I hope not!

I actually have some reason for mild enthusiasm regarding the Vols in 2011. Don't need to Chuck to leave them to come to this Titanic mess.

10. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

Tony Brown wasn't drafted. While I don't think Washburn is a prophet who's gonna cure cancer, I think he was great at getting unexpected guys to overachieve. Tony Brown went from unheard of to a good starter, KVB and Babin were forgotten before signing with us and suddenly became Pro Bowlers, a washed up Kearse with no legs left and wasn't even expected to start, showed some flashes, even 5th round reserves like Dave Ball and Jacob Ford have already done more than we could have hoped for when they were drafted. And Odom actually had a career year right before his departure, so it's unfair to say he was mediocre at best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar