Watkins hopes to make good impression

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Dontel Watkins grew up in Nashville, but he admits playing for the Titans wasn’t necessarily his ultimate goal as a kid.

“I was a Cowboys fan,’’ he said with a smile.

Signed as an undrafted free agent, Watkins has a different mindset now. On Thursday night, the former Antioch High School star will play for the first time at LP Field when the Titans face the Redskins in the preseason opener for both teams.

“It is going to feel good to play in front of the home crowd. I haven’t really thought about it, but getting close, it is on my mind every day,’’ Watkins said. “I am just ready to play no matter what stadium it is in. I could be back at Antioch High School.”

Watkins, who finished his college career at Murray State, spent his first two years of high school at Overton, where he played quarterback. He played his final two years at Antioch, where he was moved to wide receiver.

Because the Titans have so much depth at wide receiver, Watkins hasn’t received a ton of reps during training camp, so he hasn’t had a big chance to flash. He did make an impressive catch going across the middle during practice on Tuesday.

When he gets action in the second half of preseason games, he’ll need to make a good impression. Even if he doesn’t stick with the Titans, he knows other teams are watching as well.

“To me, it is valuable,’’ he said of the preseason playing time. “The more reps I get, the better I do., the better my chances to stay here.”

As for any stress associated with trying to make the roster, Watkins said: “There is no pressure on me. There’s pressure on those (other) guys because I’m trying to get their spot.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News, Training Camp

Source: Titans Insider

2. Mberglo

Mberglo Starter

Sure this wasn't a Yogi Berra quote?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar