We are still minor league

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by VolnTitan, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

The thing I noticed this year at training camp is that when someone from the Titans is over at that little curtain giving an interview, there is usually a gaggle of writers around him with recorders. They are all getting the same quote! Now you can go to the Titans' website and hear the entire article for yourself. It's got to be a tough gig to be a beat writer in the internet age.

I mean, only a few years ago beat writers knew stuff that no fan knew until it was printed in the daily paper. Now, as exhibited here with training camp, stuff that is printed in the daily paper has already been recanted the night before on this site.

I agree, beat writers should focus more on specific player stories. I mean, they still should do daily recaps because a lot of the older generation still enjoy reading the newspaper.

2. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

I think there is a certain snobbery about it all. Since Bruce started as an Oiler, the Titans "inherited" him, and he is not considered a true player from the modern franchise.

3. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Gotcha... yea I heard local and thought staff writer for local paper... Tennessean definitely has a problem. Obviously they have to give us something we can't get elsewhere, which used to be just the who/what/where/when/how. But now we can get that same report, and get it faster on sites like this.

I think their only option is to give a more in-depth analysis of the games and players, which is why I made the comment about getting someone like Sirmon to write for the paper. I was kind of half joking, but I just realized that titansonline.com has both Sirmon and Dyson writing weekly articles like that - not to mention Mike Keith's blog. That's the type of article that the local papers need to survive, and it appears the Tennessean might be too late to the game there.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The beat writers are often in a no-win situation.

If they don't ask the tough questions, they are considered soft. But if they go full guns, the players can go Pacman on them and not give them anything. The articles quickly become editorials when you don't have any quotes from the players.

If they do more human interest stuff, many call them fillers or fluff pieces. If they don't produce enough stories on players, they're not doing their jobs.

Though I agree with what many here have said about the media, I do think the members of this forum want more information then the average Titans fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar