we could get a preimer WR in 07s draft....

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by titan_fan_4ever, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

One thing I'm starting to think about this draft, it needs to be very very solid. It's becoming more likely IMO that the top FAs are going to be retained by their teams, and those who are not, as we already know, the bidding will be ridiculous. Freeney and Thomas are likely to be franchised. I think we may go after one of the CBs like crazy. Charles Grant, Rod Coleman, Kris Jenkins and the like -- a wing and a prayer. We might hit on a player or two, but I think we have to really secure this draft, so to speak. We of course won't know for a while, but we can't have a 2003 repeat. Our day one picks are going to have to be on the money, I think. We'll need a contributing defensive lineman on the first day, for instance, and I think 2 of our day one picks will be on defense. I think we could draft an o-lineman on day one, though. I like a road-grating guard in case next year is Olson's year to take a back seat. We need to be ready for that day as well.

2. johnnybow

johnnybow Guest

I think you're right. I'd like to know how each of our OL guys graded out.

3. FightinTitan

FightinTitan Guest

While Bongo's post shed some light on some of the aspects that make or have made some teams very good, some of theother parts that made those teams spoecial were kept in the dark.

For instance, the Steelers had a very special WR, Hines Ward, who could create and make plays. They also had a better running game than what we have. The Colts may not have gained their Super Bowl, but they have owned the AFC South. They have a great air and ground game and to note, their defense is not nearly as good as ours. Each of these teams is able to move and control the balll, thus effectively keeping their defense off of the field and fresh.

What Bongo is overlooking, is that each of the teams he mentions winning , is that they have very good offensive play makers in place and have very good chemistry. The bad teams he mentions have some portion of their offense, OL in the Cardinals instance, that is missing and can considered a weak link. The Lions have not had a good QB to run their offense and their defense is not any better than the Titans. Poor team chemistry can be attributed to the failed Terrell Owens-Dallas Cowboy fiasco....any wonder?

I don't disagree with Bongo that defense matters and that we need help there. Howefver, we do have a young QB, whose passing skills could use a playmaker to help him grow. The teams Bong mentioned, do have some guys who compliment their QB. Tha Patriots are the one team that do not have star WR, but they have a hell of a ground game and arguably one of the two the best passing QBs in the NFL.

The Titans can not count on VY or Adam Jones to win every game in the 4th quarter, using their legs every game. This team needs more playmakers on both sides of the ball if they are going to get better...and it is not going to get done completely though this years draft. The Titans have struggled with the drafting and development of their WRs over the years. Can anyone tell us who was the last WR that the Titans drafted in the first round? Is it any wonder why this team has not had a stud WR in a while(D-Mason was a very good one - but not a stud-he was an underneath-possession WR, who was taken in the 4th round).

Looking back at verything, I still see the Titans getting VY some tools.

For that matter, I do get it Bongo. It is just that I see other needs for this team and see our team in a different light compared to the Colts, Lions, and Cards. Nobody is wrong in this equation. We all merely have differrent interpretations of what this team needs and when and how we get there. What is forgotten by everyone is that we still have a lot of cap money to use to bring in some players on both sides of the ball. That in itself could make a big difference either way.

4. we dont want to use all of our cap money at once tho

5. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

:thumb:

unlike the redskins we'd like to keep some of our players.

6. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

First and foremost we need to get better this off-season at stopping the run.

Indy are still in the playoffs because their defese can suddenly stop the run - whether that be Bob Saders return, the improved play of Booger, the scheming, or whetever, that is the difference.

If Philadelphia had been capable of stopping the run, they would still be in the playoffs. Punting was the right call with 2 minutes to go. If they stop Deuce they get the ball back and win the game.

I don't know if our run defense is best helped by a monster MLB, an upgrade at DT (my preference) or a change in Defensive Co-oridnator and/or scheme, but I do know that is we don't change something we'll be on the sidelines again this time next year.

7. MattPan25

MattPan25 Guest

if we do get a wide out it better be ginn jr, jarrett is to slow and ginn can strech the field. however d should be priority num 1.

8. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

I would like to see us sign Charles Grant DE form the Saints who is solid to better vs. the run and pass. Then in the draft get a stud DT in round 1 and pick a-gonzo from OSU in round 2 who would be that reliable WR type like a Hines Ward who blocks, catches, and runs precise routes.Then we could still get a good S round 3 and be set front 4 and with the addition of a CB unless Finnegan gets the spot we could be much better defesively.

9. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

ANOTHER DT....NO WAY....THINK BOUT THIS....

we already have - Haynz, Ro beast, Starks (we should def resin him), Tony Brown (very good offseasn pick up), Maholona (played well in limited time), and possibly long if we resign him...thats a lot of DT...

in the draft/FA we need to focus on other more important things; i think we need to replace hill (preferably w/ FA as usually give results faster; asante or nate come to mind as amazing fits), lamont prob needs to go (nelson would be great), and get a better DE opposite KVB (wouldnt mind grant the very least or possibly try to get kerney if healthy and maybe the freak since howard did really well for the eagles in his sted, but both are risky coming off seriuos injures...especailly kearse though his burst and speed is his biggest asset, not as strong and b/c of all those tendons he ripped...its not a sure thing he gets it back)

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Quality not Quantity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar