We might see huge change to the Titans roster

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I was reading an article on how Pete Carroll turned the Seahawk's roster over in two seasons. 43 players who were on that roster by Week 17 in '09 was gone by early September in 2011. I was wondering if we might see the same kind of thing happen with the Titans.

Last year, the Titans brought in seven players who played on other teams in previous seasons. The Bucs led the NFL with 17. We might see some big numbers for the Titans in 2015.

Let's start with those players who will become free agents:

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/tennessee-titans/

Some 24 players are there. Of those the Titans will likely re-sign is Kern and Succop. Maybe they keep Klug but I'd think he'll go to a team with a defense better suited to his size.

Everyone else I see on that list could/should be replaced. That's 22 players out-of-the-gate.

Note: Derrick Morgan isn't on that list but is a UFA in March so assume he's gone. He'd make 23. I personally think he'll want to return to a 4-3 but that's just speculation on my part. Since they haven't talked to him yet, I think they'll let him walk.

Now go to those player who might be on the bubble:

Levitre - cap hit of $8.6M ($6.3M in dead money).
    McCourty - cap hit of $8.6M ($3.6M in dead money).
    Griffin - cap hit of $8.1M ($3.6M in dead money).
    Oher - cap hit of $5M ($6.350M in dead money).
    Wimbley - cap hit of $4.55M ($3.6M in dead money).
    Stevens - cap hit of $4.5M ($1M in dead money).
    Greene - cap hit of $4.183M ($833K in dead money).
    Woodyard - cap hit of $3.5M ($2.25M in dead money).
    Whitehurst - cap hit of $2.75M ($500K in dead money).
    Woods - cap hit of $2.6M ($500K in dead money).

I think there are a few obvious ones here.

Levitre doesn't save a lot to release in '15 but it doesn't break the bank if they want to move on. I don't know if anyone on the roster would step in or if they would move Schwenke over. If they bring in a free agent, you can bet it'll cost more than the $2.3M releasing Levitre saves in '15 but, since he's getting paid $8.6M in '16, '17 and $7.8M in '18, it's worth taking a step back now, IMO.

McCourty is safe, IMO.

I don't know whether the Titans are ready to look at options to upgrade Griffin. Griffin will be 30 next season and has another two seasons under his current deal. They might approach him about a restructure or, what I think will happen, they draft his replacement this season and release him next year when he only has $1.8M in dead money.

Releasing Oher doesn't make much since so I think he stays.

I was surprised Wimbley was given a new deal and see no reason why he'd stay on the roster even though his savings are minimal.

Stevens is a goner. They might resign him on the cheap coming off an injury if he's healthy.

Greene is gone. Look for a bruiser #2 RB in the draft or free agency.

Releasing Woodyard saves just $1.25M in '15 but his job is far from secure. He has to be upgraded.

CBJ is easily gone if the Titans go QB in the draft and want to give Mett the #2 job. If they think Mett is a #1 material, I suspect they'll bring in someone who can compete with him as the #2 via free agency. We'll know soon enough.

Al Woods falls into the category of guys who can be upgraded but we'll have to wait and see what free agency and the draft brings.

Just some stuff to discuss. Including eight draft picks (maybe nine if Britt brings a late compensatory pick), we might see numbers that rival the Bucs last season as far as new players on the roster from previous teams.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I trust Pete Carroll way more than Whiz, Carrol has won and built programs before. Whiz has killed careers, that's it.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 3
  3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

They'd better break open the old piggy bank. Outside of locale and vacant starting slots there is very little here otherwise to lure quality players.

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

No comparison here....Whiz literally made Munchak look better.

• LOL LOL x 1
  5. titanthakur

titanthakur Pro Bowler

I think Tennessee is an easier place to lure quality players compared to the other teams that were bad this year, Oakland, Jacksonville, Tampa Bay. The problem is we always go for the second tier guy to try to save money. The last big name guy we brought in who had any recognition around the league was Pollard.

We need a household name on our team to sign as a free agent in 2015. We need a face of the franchise type of player at number 2.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I do remember making a post last year (not that it matters) about how switching coaches in 2015 made more sense than 2014 because of the way roster and contracts worked out.

I expect we will see that same amount of roster turnover in the next 2 years as the Seahawks example. I just hope we don't see again 2 years later because Whis ends up a total bust and chump.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

:clap::banjump::notworthy:

• Cheers Cheers x 2
  8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

According to this Morgan is here in 2015

morgan.jpg

• Boring Boring x 1
  9. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

I don't mind keeping Morgan, they just need to add help around him.

10. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Pete Carroll's general manager was (and continues to be) John Schneider, maybe the best in football.

Whiz has Ruston Webster.

Turnover is a good idea, but it means nothing if you don't bring in good players to replace the bad ones.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar