We should have signed Albert while we had the chance.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Deuce Wayne, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

As I said at the time, franchising Albert was basically giving him away. I highly doubt we're even considering signing him knowing how much he'll demand and be offered this offseason. The best shot we've got is barely losing the SuperBowl to hope he comes back for less money in order to get that ring.
    This is where being cheap hurts. If we wanted to keep him, why not keep him for less while the option was there? Sure - Albert may very well fall off once he gets that contract, or he could perform the same. But I'll take Haynesworth at 80% than any other guy we're going to replace him with.

I just hope we get our superbowl this year before he leaves.

2. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I'm glad you were able to use your magic 8-ball to predict that Haynesworth would have another good season. You are awfully quick to forget 2005 Albert Haynesworth, the one who had never lived up to his potential and appeared lazy on the field. Personally, I'm glad our front office was careful enough to not shell out big bucks on a potential one-year wonder. And Haynesworth still hasn't performed this well outside of a contract year. He could take the big money somewhere else and go back to the way he was before. With all of that said, we still have a chance to bring him back. But that's as much up to Haynesworth as it is up to us.

3. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Its a gambling game. I'm sort of with gloat on this one. When you see that sort of tremendous talent and see the defense WITHOUT him, you can truly evaluate his presence on the defense. We went 0-3 last year without him starting...and our defense got ran and passed on like never before. Personally, I would have locked him. I do understand, however, that MR and the organization have to play it safe...but they should have evaluated the situation more closely.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

can't do anything about it now so what is the use in moaning about it?

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

^gotta use a message board for it's purpose.

6. titans4life10

titans4life10 Camp Fodder

It is a gamble, but it will also show what Haynesworth is all about.

Is it money or is it for a ring? Depending how Titans finish out, whether Superbowl win or bust....the choice might be up to Haynesworth on what is more important to him.

Stay with a team that you already have a proven chemistry with and build on to what can be a dynasty or go into free agency looking for the god-awful amount of money that teams are going to throw at you.

This decision is as much Tennessee's as it is Haynesworth....

The question is, what is the fair dollar amount? We all agree Big Al should be the highest paid DT, and maybe Dlineman.....but should he be the highest paid Defensive player in the league period?

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I advocated signing albert to a long term deal after the 2006 season on this board.

Everyone thought that was a bad idea because of the head kicking incident plus other things but there was something about the way he handled that and knew he was wrong that impressed me into thinking this is a good guy not what people thought.

I'm not going to pull that post up but back then we could have signed him for half what it will cost now. Maybe even less.

A year before jacob bell went free agent i suggested offering him a long term deal at about $3M year. Some here thought that was an outrageous sum for him. He would sign a $6M deal with the rams.

The way to beat this cap thing is to draft well, sign guys for as long as you can even if it means over paying a little and to get them signed a year before they walk. That's what they did with stewart and roos and it will prove to be a great deal.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I don't see how we can break the bank for an $11M a year deal.

9. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Ravens will grab Big Al.

wouldnt you like to face that defense?

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Ravens can't afford him and may lose ray lewis.

No way AH signs with any 3-4 team unless it is to play DE. He will never sign to play NT for any 3-4 team.

If the ravens could sign AH and still keep lewis they would have the best run defense ever. Ngata is 345 lbs and plays right end for them. I can imagine haynesworth at the other end. Yikes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar