Web Page Design

Discussion in 'Gear' started by Carpy, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Help please,

I am trying to design a very simple web page, but am having a few problems. i downloaded a FTP program and created a home page and a few pages that link off that in Word.

I tried to give my pages a background in Word, but when they upload to the web page, the background doesn't appear.

Any ideas?

2. Is the background image file only on your computer or also on the server? Is the HTML accessing the background image on the server?

3. Carpy

Ahh. That might be it. The image is just on my laptop. If I just upload that as well, it should work?

4. The image has to be there and the html code on the web page has to point to where it is.

5. Carpy

Okay. I'm quickly getting out of my level of expertise. How do I do that?

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Where you added the photo into your html document, you created a link to the image from somewhere on your computer. Change that link to the place you are keeping it on your server such as:

http://www.yoursite.com/image.jpg

It will immediately go to a white box with a little broken link symbol but should work when you upload it to your server.

7. Carpy

But where do I find that link when the picture is the background?

8. TitanJeff

It's a little different depending on the program.

If you can look at the page as html code, it is probably in the header area and you should be able to find the file name.

Or, you can go back to how you imported the image to begin with and probably change the link at that location.

9. Carpy

Apparently I know even less than I thought.

How do I access the HTML code?

Do I need special software?

10. TitanJeff

Hmmmm...

If you are using GoLive or Dreamweaver, you can look at the page in design mode, text mode or preview. The text mode shows you the html.

See if you have the ability to switch the view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar