Weekly 53

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Thought I'd post my mock final 53 based on the week.

Offense
    (2) QB - Collins, VY
    (3) RB - CJ, White, Ringer
    (4) TE - Scaife, Crump, Cook, Stevens
    (6) WR - Gage, Wash, Britt, Hawk, Edison, Guice
    (1) FB - Hall
    (8) OL - Roos, Amano, Mawae, Scott, Stewart, Harris, Kropog, Otto

Defense
    (6) DT - Jones, Brown, Haye, Vickerson, Marks, King
    (4) DE - KVB, Kearse, Ford, Hayes
    (6) LB - KB, Thornton, Tulloch, Fowler, Keglar, McGrath
    (5) CB - Finnegan, Harper, Mouton, McCourty, Williams
    (4) S - Hope, Griffin, Fuller, Nickey

Special Teams
    (1) K - Bironas
    (2) P - Trepasso
    (1) LS - Amato

Total: 53.

I know Ball was a valuable backup to KVB last year. This year, so far, I'm feeling like DE isn't going to be the problem. I like what I've seen from King, especially as a 1-gap penetrator, and if we needed this depth later, we wouldn't get him back. I wonder if he can play both spots as Ball did. I could rearrange things to keep both - namely, WR, dropping either Edison or Guice.

I drop Davis and Faggins both right now (if it was final cut time). I left Williams for now because I feel like this would be the upgraded spot anyway. Maybe Law or McCallister could play backup outside or nickle if Fuller was out a prolonged period of time. I don't know.

I almost added Tuff Harris to backup the safety spot, as well for return duty.

Anyway, don't worry. Things will be different next week. These would just be the way I'd shape it now.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

Nice, that looks pretty close to what the real 53 would be. Ahh Good ol' ahmard hall. the guy on offense who doesn't need a backup. I love that guy.

3. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I think that's pretty close.

I can't buy into Mitch King or Dudley Guice.

I'd give their two spots to Tuff Harris and Josh Stamer.

Guys #52 and 53 really need to be special teams standouts.

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

True dat on Hall, and thanks.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I agree about those spots, and Harris would be the first right now to make the cut if I changed something. For me, it would be a battle between Edison and Guice. Edison's got the practice mojo, but Guice showed up in the game. Edison's been lost so far on more than one occasion. This will be the battle if we keep only 5 to shore up another area, unless Hawkins just really screws the pooch and ends up in the doghouse, which I doubt happens. The 2nd year Titans' receiver pass is an annual courtesy, but on the other hand, we've been making some surprising changes, so you never really know.

Stamer is normally close, but I feel McGrath is going to do so much and be a part of the future, so I see teams as a way to keep him active on gameday. Thus, I left him off. He's been hurt anyway, so I didn't feel I'd guarantee a spot to a hurt special teamer when there's a rookie coming on who can play the real position. Our linebackers are going to have to scrape a lot more this year, which IMO, increases the chances of having to replace one of them at some point, if even briefly.

Anyway, the first point I'll concede is the injury to Fuller might mean Harris makes the squad, for a while at least.

King has flashed in two games. Against scrubs, yes, but no one else was blowing plays up that much. To me, this might be one of those "keep him for the future" guys. Add to that, Jones is hurt, and Marks, I don't believe, is all the way back from injuries yet. I don't believe Lajuan Ramsey is doing more than auditioning for 31 teams and keeping some other guys from getting hurt right now. Like I said, I think King could swing like Ball's (aheh....) done in the past. Really, I'd like to see him play with the 2nd team, once we start to scheme a bit. If Ramsey's really ahead of him, then there's no real hope for him here anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar