Well...Gears of War 2 is no longer a bragging right for 360.

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Deuce Wayne, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Or at least the multiplayer isn't. Man, talk about completely ruining a fun experience.
    The only rebuttal for the changes are 'it was to make it more of a tactical-cover game'. Huh? Wait...Gears of War. Tactical? It IS a run/gun game, so why not have it play like one? What nerds are playing a game that you turn people to taco meat with a couple shots with high powered guns wanted more tactical gameplay? Seriously...
    If you want a tactical, boring, stay on one side of the map in a pack of 4 and shoot across while covered...Gears of War was never a game you should have purchased.

The gameplay isn't the worst of it though. The matchmaking is the worst. It's like they made a gears of war skin for halo matchmaking. It searches for teams in dead silence, and only takes about 5 minutes before you get a room full of people to play. I used to rush to the kitchen and get a snack before the match would start. But now? Now I've got time to cook a freaking lasagna, bake a potato, or make thanksgiving dinner.

But it gets worse. Once you finally get a group to play with...they then vote on the match type. I mean, why would you want to decide for yourself which game type you want to play? Instead, after waiting 2 months you now have to play some completely homosexual game like 'submission' (submission is never exciting. Not in fighting. Not in gaming. Not anywhere.) Because instead of just killing a team of 5...being the last man standing and winning it all for my team...I'd rather run around carrying some hostage to a designated area fending off the opposing team with a pistol.
    And if you don't get Submission, you'll get King of the Hill! Or Annex! Or Capture the Flag! What's the difference? Who knows! But at least you got a choice, right?

Look- Halo 3 sucked. It felt extremely cheap. Bullets didn't feel like they did any damage, but you or the opposing player would eventually fall over like you fainted. Not fun. Well, gears apparently cared more about getting that lame crowd in to their game. Hooray. It's like the NFL changing their style to suit golf fans. Instead of all that hard hitting stuff- let's get the crowd quiet and see if Peyton Manning can complete this pass for par.

I wondered why my friends list wasn't flooded with GOW2 players as it was with GOW1. I now know.
    So for anyone that really cared about the multiplayer, and was looking forward to this piece of crap- stick with Call of Duty or something. At least it doesn't lag, and you don't usually get knifed while unloading a clip in to someone's face.

F. U. EPIC.

p.s. - for what it's worth: The campaign mode is actually improved, and is great. Heaven forbid they improve both sides of the game. Had to mess it up somehow.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I've heard there were some pretty big issues with the online component of Gears 2. I haven't had a chance to play Gears 2 at all though.

3. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

Ahhh....Gloat, it sounds like you played it for a day or two then gave up. Or were you just getting owned over and over again?

1st - I too do not like the new match making. It takes to long, but I do like the fact that I can get in a room with my friends, and people on my friends list. You could not do this easily with Gears 1.

2nd - The whole submission thing...you want to know how to fix that? When you are about to SEARCH for a match you put it on an ELIMINATION type game. This will create it so you will only play Execution, Warzone, or Guardian. That is all I play, when I play.

Not sure what you expected, but I am not surprised you did not like it. There are surely a few things wrong with it, but damn if it isnt a fun game if you can get the matchmaking fixed.

4. Deuce Wayne

I didnt know about the elimination setting on searches. I saw a list, but no particular game type like execution (what i scanned for).

Not sure why you had problems playing w/friends in Gears 1. I played every night with about 6 guys regularly. At least 3-4 of us were there usually. Just hosted a game (as much as I hated host advantage, boy do i miss having actual hosts) and then invite.

I played again tonight. Still not liking it. The lag is the worst I've ever experienced, and happens far too often. Half the time I die without knowing how the opponent killed me.
    I'll have a guy point blank with a shot gun and he'll some how hit me with a couple lancer bullets, then I'm down on the ground mysteriously.

and I havent won a single chainsaw battle. And I usually end up getting chainsawed by a guy that's turned around or to the side, that saw me after I had already had mine started.

5. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

Gloat...if your lag is bad it could be your connection. The game is tough. Took me a while, but I finally got going. A lot of people like it though, but not as much as 1. Agreed. I miss the maps from 1.

6. Deuce Wayne

My connection works fine with cod4. Only this one does the lag get bad. And I think most of it is due to people hitting the 'lag switch' at awful convenient times. Like when a grenade lands at their feet.

7. Deuce Wayne

Alright - as I'm frustrated, I'm going to vent in here:

Unless you're in a party (as i was for a couple games tonight), this game's multiplayer is almost unplayable just for the matchmaking alone. I'm a pretty patient person- but...when it takes 5 minutes to get people in to a lobby...then you see team B is short 1 player...so you slowly watch the others leave... oh- but you have to stay! And wait 30 seconds or whatever for the match...with no opposing team...to load. And once the match starts to tell you you're the winner because team B doesn't exist... you have to wait ANOTHER 20 or so seconds for the game to end.

This is the absolute worst piece of sh^^ multiplayer I've ever played.

To give you the run down, this is how my night of Gears gaming went:

2:00am - Played with a party of 4 other friends. Matches loaded ok.
    2:43am - Friends logged off- Start trying to find a match.
    2:46am - ....4 players!...number 5....now! Sweet! Only 3 mins. Oh wait...
    ::::searching for similar skilled opponents:::::
    2:48 - What do you know! 1 player left our team...
    2:48 - :::::searching for players::::: found 5th teammate...
    2:50 - Found opposing team....
    2:51 - :::::CONNECTING PLAYERS:::::
    2:52 - :::::vote on game type:::::.....wait 30 seconds....
    2:53 - :::::vote on map::::::.....wait another 20 seconds....
    2:53 - :::::choose character:::::...wait another 10 seconds...
    OH NO- A PLAYER FROM THE OTHER TEAM LEFT!
    Now another....
    AND ANOTHER!!!!....
    AND ANOTHER....

It's now 5vs1. Enjoy your game that took 10 minutes to initiate! You can do it all over again once this lopsided match is over!

And this happened 3 times. I actually gave up the last time before I took the disc out and stabbed it with the sharpest object available.

Pure sh** this game. They better hope Resistance isn't any good.

8. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

that sucks bro, all I play on there is Horde and I love it!

9. ammotroop

ammotroop Airforce MAN

Gloat I feel your pain. Best bet is to make 4 friends and start a party. You can get tons of games in like that.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

All I gotta ask is...why you playing games at 2am?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar