What about that outrageous ridiculous call?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by flamehead2, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

I haven't had a chance to watch it on tape but on the Titan tron that looked like a fumble to me???
    Why isn't anyone discussing that? Did I miss something?
    It occurs to me that we lost because of THAT!
    From what i saw at the game it was the worst call ever!
    How can you rule it down by contact? The Umpire couldn't have seen the ball or he would have know it was a fumble so logic tells me he just guessed that it was down by contact without seeing it. And for that he should be FIRED!!!
    He obviously made a call on a play he didn't even see at all. It's not like he made a bad judgement. HE DIDN'T EVEN SEE THE PLAY! He couldn't have or he wouldn't have stopped the play and called it down by contact. That is the most outrageous ridiculous call ever and it could ruin the entire credibility of the NFL.

Your thoughts?

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

They called it a fumble on the replay just that "We can't give....give Tennessee the ball" because there was no clear recovery (except Ro-beast came up with the ball)

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

it was a fumble, no doubt.

(on the Ravens fumble/down by contact play)

We (the rules committee) added down by contact last off season, during the challenge they have to be able to beyond a reasonable doubt identify and establish recovery in the challenge. That’s why I lost that challenge. Now there was no way in the world I should have been challenging the play in the first place. That was a bad call by the umpire. And that’s what bothers me. We all saw it, everybody saw it. The runner is upright and the ball came out. Now how you get down by contact I have no idea. I hope they hear me in New York because that was field position, and we lost by a point. I should not have been challenging that play. The challenge process was correct as far as replay goes, but I should not have been forced to challenge that play.

(on whether the official was apologetic for the missed call)

Jeff (Triplett) handled the challenge fine, you’d like to see somebody maybe overturn that, but after the whistle he jumped up and was pointing down, down by contact.

4. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Someone came over and explained to us that the ruling wasn't on the carrier, but on the fumble recoverer.

The ball came out. A Raven landed on it. Supposedly, DBC was called on HIM.
    BUT...
    The ball came loose a SECOND TIME, which would indicate that the recoverer had no control, therefore it was STILL LOOSE when Robeast came up with it.

It's at least a better explaination, but it's still a BS call.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

thats all well and good, but they didnt throw the bean bag in the first place.

6. avvie

Speaking of which, how about those TV techs playing up the drama and showing Fisher throw the red flag in slo-mo?

7. yea that was kinda funny, but what i thought made it funnier is when u see him throw it everyone starts to celebrate

8. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

They definately played it up.
    I liked the madden style back and forth action of the fumble replay

9. avvie

Including everyone at my table :brow:

10. Bulluck

Bulluck Camp Fodder

My interpretation was that the Referee called it down by contact and didnt even acknowledge that Robaire came up with the ball. When Fisher challenged it, and he explained this afterward, he cant overturn it unless there is inconclusive evidence that we jumped on the ball first.

So my problem is that he called it down by contact initially.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar