What does Fitz do well?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by rodgev, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

You guys are way overreacting on the turnover thing. Look at the situations. We have a strong defense and a run game that opens up the passing game. Fitz doesn't have to force things like he did in Buffalo. We will be fine.

2. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Some of you guys really need to cut the whole sky is falling thing out and look at some of the positives going into week 5.

Yeah, we lost Locker, and it sucks to see a guy go down when he was playing so well, even I was starting to think he had it in him. But injuries happen in football, and I can't say I'm too surprised this one happened to Locker. It's been a red flag his entire life, the guy is glass. But, the TEAM is 3-1 for the first time in a long time, the defense is looking as good or better than 2008, and we've got a capable "backup" stepping in.

I get Fitzpatrick isn't a fan favorite around here. I liked him a lot and thought his signing was the biggest one we made all offseason (hopefully he proves me right). He doesn't have the biggest arm and he isn't super mobile but he hits his spots with good accuracy and he's smart as hell. You can see that with how fast he's already grasped the entire offense. He played on a bad Buffalo team for the past couple years and had to play from behind a lot which IMO led to a spiked number of interceptions. I don't think we'll put him in that position and I think you'll see a much more protective Fitz behind center. You watch his highlights and he's made some throws I haven't seen a Tennessee QB make in a long long time, probably since McNair. He can put it in tight windows and knows where the gaps in the defense are going to be. He's not going to throw 100 mph or scramble for first downs like Locker but he does bring that to the table. I'm not here to start Locker vs Fitzpatrick debates either, I never think a guy should lose his job due to injury and Locker certainly has played above my expectations this season but right now Fitz is the only option and I think we'll be just fine with him.

FITZMAGIC

Fitz talks about his story, pretty cool

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

"I'm not the most talented guy, but I'm the guy that's going to be able to outwork everybody." -Ryan Fitzpatrick

4. xhrr

xhrr Starter

In Fitz defense he can scramble enough to extend plays obviously he isn't the threat that Jake is outside the pocket which is his strength but he isn't a statue back there and can make a few plays with his legs.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

He literally needs to do the one thing he's never been able to do; avoid turnovers.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

A few things to keep in mind. He's much more experienced at reading defenses and he can get rid of the football quickly. He has a relatively mediocre arm in terms of arm strength but he can off-set this somewhat by making faster decisions and getting the ball off. He is also fairly accurate with the ball.

What that means to us is a few differences. We probably won't be seeing him trying to throw a 15 yd out from the other hash mark on the field. The arm strength issue is also what sometimes allows a db to break on his ball and have an extra .01 seconds to break it up or pick it. It is also why I think you'll see him work the middle of the field more then Jake did. Additionally, working the middle of the field is a litle more dangerous for turning the ball over as a tipped ball frequently gets picked in the middle of the field.

I think we'll see the comebacks, crosses, more slants and bubble screens, and more deeper crossing patterns. He will and can throw fades and go routes as long as he already read that the S is not a factor. With hunter, we could see more Jump balls!

I could see Wright and Walker become his favorite targets and perhaps more balls to CJ out of the backfield. The Saints schooled Miami in how to utilize a mismatch to your advantage (Miami had no answer for Sproles in the passing game) and few bother with CJ much when we split him out.

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

too the original post

RF is like NOD, best taken in small doses. I hope RF is successful and JL comes back after the bye.

I know this is best case scenario, but its what I hope

8. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

RF I think will do well, and he is going against tough opponents but I am more worried about what he doesn't do well and his arm strength as gut posted before. I hope he is cautious with the ball, makes good decisions and leads the team to a win at the end of the day. We have a good team, he just needs to not try to do too much!

9. rodgev

rodgev Starter

"Yo Mr Fitzpatrick pass me the ball *****"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar