What happened to your Rd1 ideal picks of 09'?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Childress79, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

We should of gotten LaRod Stephens-Howling, instead we drafted Ryan Durand one pick before.

Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda...

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

who the f!@# is ryan durand?

3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Exactly.

He's this feller:
    [​IMG]

4. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Yeah Rey Maualuga here too. Didn't think it was likely but just for that smash mouth style.

5. costarica2

costarica2 Banned forever

Butler his a project now .

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I was real high on Robert Ayers last year and the Broncos messed up drafting him because he doesn't fit a 3-4 scheme. He looks more the part of a 4-3 end. He would have fit what the Titans do much better than the Broncos.

I more than happy we drafted Britt. We finally drafted a true #1 type WR who perfectly fits our offense. He is physical and isn't afraid to block. A nice thing when you have CJ carrying the ball. I really wanted Bowe the year we drafted Griffin for the same reason.

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I really wanted Harvin and thought we should trade up for him given his slide. But barring that I knew we needed defensive help and would have liked to see them trade down a bit grabbing an extra 3rd (with which we could have trade back into the 2nd rnd). Then we could have taken a CB (Smith or Butler), DE (Everett Brown), LB or WR. I liked Hicks more than Britt. Both did well.

And while Britt has impressed, the knock on him as not being a natural hands catcher has shown up and cost us some catches, first downs and big yardage. No one said he can't catch.

However, he has been impressive and contributed and improved a lot more than expected. If he can work his hands more and build upon last season, he should be our #1 WR no later than the end of next season.

I was adamant about NOT taking Ayers who I think will be a bust. I think he wasn't a first rnd pick for any system and does not fit well with the Broncos 3-4 system. I think they figured he'd platoon with Dumervil and help stop the run or bulk up and play DE, but he doesn't seem able to do either. Bad pick and bad fit IMO. We'll see how Brown does in Carolina.

Gut

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I think Brown will be a good player in Carolina.

The first sign that Denver didn't know what they were doing with Ayers was when they asked him to drop a few pounds. Well duh..

He's a 4-3 DE type guy both in his skill set and his size. He could have added 10 pounds and played inside for us like jason jones or played outside and i liked that versatility.

Ayers was a rare DE prospect who took the wonderlic and scored a 29 so he obviously is smart enough to learn and that is part of what i liked about him.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Britt's catch % was higher than Gage or Washington. Washington was the guy dropping potential big plays.

WR catch %

Britt-56%

Washington 49%

Gage 42%

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

They didn't draft him high to tie up blockers, they wanted him to be an unblockable OLB ala Merriman. I don't think he has the athleticism nor skillset for that which is why he didn't get on the field really. He's smart enough to learn the system, but I don't think he was a first round talent IMO. I actually think they SHOULD have had him add 10lbs and had him play DE for their 3-4. I think he'd be good at it.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar