What If We Land Keyshawn?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by DCtitan49, May 17, 2007.

?
  1. worst team in the NFL

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. below 6-10

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. 6-10/7-9 team

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. no change we stay at 8-8

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. 9-7 but we miss the playoffs

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  6. 9-7 but we make the playoffs

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  7. 10-6 team

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  8. above 10-6

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  9. Deep run in the Playoffs

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  10. Superbowl Contenders

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

[​IMG]
    I live not too far from Pac & George... There's plenty of room for one more in that neighborhood...

2. Nine

Nine Starter

When it comes to finding out about a player, I always like to get opinions from people who know more about him than I do. In Keyshawn's case, I pulled some stuff from the Charlotte newspaper....

Excerpts from the Charlotte Observer....

http://www.charlotte.com/panthers/story/106563.html

.....being a teammate means more than catching passes, knocking down cornerbacks and filling a micro-cassette tape recorder. Teammates have to be willing to give up some of who they are for the players around them.

A team stays strong through camp, practice, injuries, losing streaks and the criticism those streaks engender by going through it together. Johnson didn't, and maybe he couldn't. He came in a free agent and unofficially remained one.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2007/05/why_panthers_ca.html
    Here's why Keyshawn Johnson is gone:

Although the receiver, who was followed by controversy in his previous stops, seemed to be a model citizen in his one season with the Panthers, there were some-behind the scenes issues.

Some very important people in the organization weren't happy when Johnson failed to stand up and take blame away from quarterback Jake Delhomme after some critical passes intended for Johnson were intercepted. At least one very important person in the organization urged Johnson to do that and he didn't.

Johnson also didn't endear himself to some key people by questioning some coaching moves.

Nobody has ever questioned Keyshawn's ability to play, his effort, or his work ethic. However, what a player does on the field is only one aspect of the story....he also has to be a good fit in the locker room, and earn the trust and respect of his teammates.

In Tennessee, I'm not completely sold that Keyshawn can be that guy.

3. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Honestly, I am tired of listening to you guys downplay the signing of Keyshawn. Sure, he may be selfish and somewhat of a distraction, but at the same time he is still a good football player. He is exactly what Vince needs, someone that is confident and cocky enough to go out there and make plays. Everyone seems to forget the fact that Vince is still a project. Vince is not the quarterback that he needs to be as of yet. I am one of the front-runners for Vince's band-wagon, and I am sure that he will be something that this league has never witnessed before, but at the same time he needs help in his developmental process. We HAVE the cap room to sign Keyshawn to basically whatever contract he would like, and whether you pessimistic Titans fans want to admit it or not, Keyshawn would be an asset to this team. Keyshawn will catch a good percentage of the balls that Vince under/over throws his receivers. Last season alone, if Vince had that one guy that caught everything in sight then his numbers and confidence would have sky rocketed.

The future of the Titans franchise is in place, now all he needs is the help. I'm sick and tired of hearing about giving these new receivers a chance, in my opinion they should earn their chance and not have it given to them just because they are a "high" draft pick. The NFL is a business and just like any other business you have to earn your place in the work-force. Vince Young is by far the most important aspect of this franchise. He can take the Tennessee Titans franchise and the city of Nashville to heights that we have never witnessed before, but he cannot do it by himself. So, as a fellow Titans fan, please lay off of the salary cap BS/selfishness and realize that Keyshawn would play his heart out and help Vince's development process emensely. Keyshawn Johnson is a necessity to this team and the development of our FRANCHISE quarterback. Be positive fellas, we have a Hall of Fame quarterback on our roster and I am quite sure of that, he just needs as much help as possible.

4. texdude2006

texdude2006 Guest

2 years $5 million

5. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

2-3 years 10-12 mill sounds about right..

6. eberry

eberry Camp Fodder

They didn't wait around for it. Sneak attack.

7. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

He's not downplaying it just pointing out he not a stand up guy who will take the blame.Not much of a team player which is why I never liked him. Do we need him yes but I hope someone else becomes available who is younger and better and a Team first guy. Key is only still playing to pad his stats. VY doesn't need Key running his mouth to the media everytime he has a bad game.

8. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG I'm Winning The Future

GREAT first post, Ubiq. :yes:

Anyone who thinks that we're a better team without a BIG TIME receiver like Key (considering what we have now,) is NUTS!

He may NOT be the classiest guy in the world, but he expedites the growth of the passing game in more ways than one.

9. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Gene for your info Keyshawn hasn't been a big time WR in IDK 5 years. So if you think were getting a BIG TIME WR in Key your looking for the wrong guy.

A BIG TIME WR warrants a bouble team on about everyplay Key didn't even produce that much with Steve Smith who is a BIG TIME WR on the other side. What makes you think he's going to even match that with BJ who I believe will breakout and be a above average WR but no Steve Smith.

He's a year older and slower which is kind of hard I think Troupe might be faster at 270. He will not warrant a double team at all and will do decent for us but does decent warrant 2-3 yearsand 10-15 million absolutly NOT. Along with the fact that he has attitude problems and will be an unhappy mess come VY's first bad game. He won't stand up and say:" Well you know what VY struggled today but I believe in him and will do everything in my power to help him. He's going to struggle here and there he's still Young and improving it's one game and VY will bounce back."

What will his affect have on the locker room?
    What will his production be on the field?
    How will his attitude be?
    Is he worth 10-15 million at 34 years or whatever and his declining skills for 2-3 years?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar