What if we picked up Adalius Thomas and turned him into a pure DE

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by eberry, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

He's 29 & surrounded by star players in the Ravens team. Put him in a less talented unit & his stand out abilities willl probably be watered somewhat.

I'd rather see our cash for defensive FA's spent on the secondary & the D line.

2. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I think that's kinda what we're talking about.

No, for some reason I don't think it will work. I would also imagine that he would prefer to go to a team that plays a 3-4, since that's what he has thrived in.

3. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Adalius Thomas, Future Titan.

Adalius Thomas could single handedly take our defense up to playoff caliber. Him, a FA corner and a good draft and I'm thinking more than just playoff caliber. Don't believe me? Here's an exerpt from ESPN the magazine that shows why he's unique. Vince Young unique.

"Thomas, a sixth-round pick out of Southern Mississippi in 2000, plays eight different defensive positions for the Ravens -- everything from nose tackle to press corner -- often on consecutive downs. That's partly why, since Thomas became a full-time starter in 2004, he leads all NFL linebackers with 26 sacks and four defensive touchdowns, including a 57-yard fumble return in a Nov. 26, 27-0 whitewash of the Steelers. His display of Swiss Army knife versatility has rejuvenated the Ravens defense, put Baltimore back among the AFC elite and single-handedly transformed the term tweener from scout cussword to compliment. "I've been around football a long time," Ray Lewis told the Baltimore Sun earlier this season, "but he's one of those guys you look back at and say, Wow."
    At the Ravens' minicamp in June, then-offensive coordinator Jim Fassel chuckled in disbelief as Thomas jumped in with the defensive backs for one-on-one coverage drills. It looked like an oak tree lining up to cover a daffodil. Then Thomas blanketed wideout Devard Darling on a 35-yard deep fade, knocking the ball down just as it arrived. "Probably the most impressive thing I've seen since I've been involved in football," says Fassel."

Besides. All those who wanna steal a Raven throw your hands up! :ravens:

4. MattPan25

MattPan25 Guest

great ideas here for sure but we already have bulluck and thorton. thomas is also a olb, this would mean keith or david would ahve to move in to mlb. so i dont think that will happen but if it did i would assume thorton would move to mlb. we aslo have tulluch who looked like he could develop into somthing. if we could make it work i say do it, but im sure hes gonna demand top dollar and we cant sign him and a corner. i say corner.

5. Nine

Nine Starter

Can you say "franchise tag"?

That's the problem with the really good players....their teams want them just as bad as we do.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

he thrives in a defensive scheme that preaches mismatches and uses a lot of creativity with its blitz's. we dont do those type of things here.

7. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

First of all he absolutley kills it at MLB which is where he would play for us. When Ray-Ray went down for ten games, Thomas came in and registered 86 tackles, nine sacks and two picks! Bulluck and Thorton would stay put. Secondly, why can't we sign him and a corner? We're 40 million under the cap. This is why we dumped our entire roster over the last three years.

8. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

no gettin him would be great....we wouldnt put him in at OLB...we already have an elite and an possible elite at those positions we would put him in at DE opposite KVB. on bullucks side they could exchange rushing responsibilties as both can tackle, cover, and rush (bulluck can pressure the qb very well and would benfit from more oppurtunies to rush the qb)...i see taht right side amazing w/ bulluck and tohomos on it.

and he is a pressuer situational corner mostly used to cover close to the line where he jams....dont know where u get the idea he is capable of always coverin a WR as a full time CB....he would get beat a lot...more then hill...a lot more then hill

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Sounds like hype to me! I'm reading a good book on the Ravens right now and I'm sure I'll get to Thomas. Be interesting to see what the author writes about him.

And Thomas basically plays 2 positions....OLB and rush OLB (pass rushing DE). The Ravens are an awesome D because of 3 things. They have excellent and unique talent, they put those players in positions to ulitize their talent, and play a creative and attacking style of D (can you say 46D? I can!)!!!

The only 'problem' with getting Thomas is that Schwartz may just stick him at DE or someplace and not alter the scheme to suit his talents (much like he frequently leaves our worst pass defenders one on one on 3rd and a mile)! Then, Thomas could end up being a very expensive overpaid free agent aquisition. If we had a good DC, I'd be all for it but until I see enough game film of him as a DE, he's not the #1 choice (though might certainly be the most viable if Freeney is franchised). He's a very good player and he's learned well and we could certainly use him (MLB, DE, OLB in a 4-4 or goaline). I don't think we'd break the bank for him though.

Gut

10. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Simply put, he's going to look to get PAID. I don't think we spend the money on a position that we're already covered in. Tolluch, will be fine at MLB. He's talanted but I don't believe that you should pay big bucks to a renisance player, a player who's good at a lot of things, but great at none. It also looks like Schwartz is staying, that's all I have to say about this move.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar