What if we picked up Adalius Thomas and turned him into a pure DE

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by eberry, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gut and sox..

If we draft patrick willis you think our brilliant DC might find a way to utilize him?

What if we had drafted derrick johnson or shaun merriman in 2005? Would merriman had been on the bench for most of 2005?

2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I remember Brian Cox,great pass rusher, he always wore that high neck brace similar to Kinney's.

He was a great at motivting his teamates too. Didn't he get in some trouble for giving the crowd the finger or maybe even fighting with a fan?

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Yep bryan cox was a character..

I remember a bear game against the packers when the favre threw a TD to freeman at the last second of the half. Cox took his helmet off and stood there bashing his teamates during the extra point. Taking your helmet off wasn't a penalty then.

Yep cox had a lot of fire and he was a solid MLB with range who could put his hand down and rush the passer from the outside.

4. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

understandable ;) but it did throw me off for a second because I watch NFL in general almost as much as I watch the Titans specifically, and I think that's the first time I've seen anyone refer to Lamont as 'LT'

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

The point is that Thomas' versatility could help us at different positions during the game, but Schwartz doesn't do that. He doesn't even move our guys around much.

So the question then becomes, how could is Thomas strictly at DE. No way would they pay him huge bucks to play strictly MLB (and I don't think he'd come for that either).

The players you mention above all play a specific position. DJ would have been playing opposite Bulluck and Merriman would be our RDE. Think about how Dom Capers moves Jason Taylor all over the field and at different positions so it's hard to gameplan for him because he might line up at RDE, LDE, OLB (both side) in a 4-3, OLB (both sides) in a 3-4, and MLB in a 4-3/3-4 or Nickel.

That's using a player creatively and they have been rewarded greatly for it!

We're saying Thomas would be a nice addition, but if you're ONLY gonna line him up at RDE, then how effective would he be and would he be overpaid for his production. Unless he is a monster RDE in a 4-3 D, we'll overpay bigtime because his contract is gonna be based on what he's already done, but I'm pretty sure most of his sacks have come as an OLB. Much harder to predict translating that to a RDE's production.

Gut

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

IMO Thomas and Merriman have some similar attributes and both are a much better fit in a 3-4 scheme. In the 3-4 the DC has more flexibility to use the OLBs to rush the QB, drop into coverage or play the run. In the 4-3 Merriman would be an every down DE which IMO he would be good at but not as effective overall. Same with Thomas.

Those are some of the reasons I like the 3-4 scheme better than the 4-3. You have 4 LBs and the flexibility of sending the rush from every angle and position. You can send one or both inside guys and drop back the outside guys into coverage. The offense never knows who is coming and who is not and the QB can lose track of where they are and throw into coverage. You also have the option of dropping all 4 into coverage as well.

Gut is right IMO. Our brainy DC should at least consider running a 3-4 on passing downs to keep the offense wondering. Instead we rush the same 4, hardly blitz and the defense is easier for the QB to read. A guy like Thomas would be under utilized unless we had a DC who would mix things up. Of course getting Thomas might allow that to happen as well.

7. Texas_Titan_1

Texas_Titan_1 Camp Fodder

If we can, we should sign Freeney. He's the best pass rusher in the league who MIGHT be available and no worse than top 3 at rushing the passer IMO.

I just can't take it anymore, please all dwight freeny homers get off it already. he is not that great, we dont need a guy on the DL who will just spin his way out of possitions. he is the reason indi cant stop the run and we don't need more help NOT stopping the run. get real, if you like freeny so much then buy a colts jersey.

8. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

The problem is Freeney is not his ability to rush the QB, it's his acute inability to stop the run. He is one of the worst run stopping DEs in the game.

9. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

:suspect:

10. titansfan9

titansfan9 Camp Fodder

LaBoy is our starting DE
    Sirmon is our starting MLB
    Thompson is our starting FS
    Hill, although adequate, needs to be upgraded

-these players aren't good, sometimes you just don't have the talent, I don't know if there are that many if any coaches that could make the defense we had a top 10 defense- LaBoy although a good pass rusher is horrific against the run, should we fire Washburn for this?- Sirmon is a slow, old, unathletic OLB playing MLB, he's smart but he doesn't have the tools physically to be a good MLB, Thompson, everyone knows that he sucks- I stand by my arguement, we don't have the talent, Schwartz is a coach, not a miracle worker...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar