What is Pacman worth on the market?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Austin_Bill, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Pacman Jones has had 4 interceptions in two full seasons in the NFL.

4 Interceptions, 2 seasons.

Saying Pacman Jones is a top 5 CB in the NFL is the similar to saying Lendale White is a top 5 RB in the NFL.

Both have potential and could be one day, but it isn't proven for either one.

Pacman looked good and certainly was a pretty good player, but people hailing him as the next Champ Bailey, Deion Sanders, or whatever are jumping the gun.

And I wonder if we had a decent corner in 2006 starting opposite Pacman, and Pacman was targeted more, would he really have held up and still look like such a great corner? Obviously no one knows. And while I have no problem saying he's a good player, he has not proven that he is a top 10 CB, let alone top 5 or as great as everyone says he is.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

With stocks, it's a big mistake to hold on to a losing stock just "hoping" that it returns to break even or make profit.

Clearly we are talking about a player and not stocks, but I hope that if Pacman remains on this team he doesn't do something really embarassing and make this team look foolish, yet again.

Or even worse, have the team count on him for the 2008 season, not use the draft or free agency to add CBs, and then have Pacman do something Pacman again and not be able to play.

I guess Pacman is one of those high risk/ high reward investments.

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Using the stock analogy pacman is like a stock that is extremely volatile. One day it is way up in the pro-bowl range and because of various night time activities the next day its value drops to almost nothing.

Swap that stock with one that maybe doesn't hit the extreme highs of pac but stays high all the time. That is why I'd push to trade pac for another player such as RW. Now if you trade pac for a draft pick you basically don't have any idea what your getting which adds some other elements of risk not to mention you have to wait for the stock to mature before it has a decent value.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

That's why I say trade this years 1st round for Roy Williams. Keep Pac- I don't think his "on field performance" is a risky venture at all. I don't know what to think about his maturity level now. Fish and Co. will make the right decision in this regard.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Agreed, opposing teams simply chose the path of least resistance. He's too short to ever be a Champ Bailey/Deion type... Not to mention that this team was in total disarray on D during his years and he certainly may have contributed to that.
    Pac's return game is invaluable though and if he was 6" taller I'd wanna see him running deep routes on O..
    Any team that trades for him will get the better end of the deal no doubt. Keep him around but be extra careful not to "need" him around...

6. jose7

jose7 Camp Fodder

If you follow baseball it'd be like trading Lastings Milledge or Elijiah Dukes.

7. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

I don't think Pac goes anywhere, unless there's an offer that we can't refuse. Fish is too much of a defensive/field position minded coach to let a jewel like him go. Not to mention, Pac was his pick. He'll keep him around for pride's sake, if nothing else.

8. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

Precisely.

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I guess, only allowing FOUR. Yes, FOUR receptions in man coverage counts for nothing, right?

Marvin Harrison (2x's a year)
    Andre Johnson (2x's a year)
    Chad Johnson
    Laverneous Coles
    Keenan McCardell
    Daunte Stallworth
    Terrell Owens
    Chris Chambers
    Santana Moss

Think about that list for a second. 4 receptions. All their others came against Reynaldo Hill or whoever else was on the other side. 4.
    So what has he done? haha Oh, I don't know. I'm trying to think of someone outside of Champ Bailey that could do the same.

oh, and that's just his shut down ability. Factor in that when he DOES get an interception, he can take it to the house from anywhere on the field.

Don't invest too much in interceptions. Champ Bailey usually only gets around 3 a year, and Pacman's 4 all came in ONE season. Don't leave that out to shade your stat. If people don't throw his direction, as he shuts down an entire side of the field, and they have Reynaldo to pick on on the other side, guess who's not going to get many balls to pick?

10. CNYTitanFan

CNYTitanFan Guest

Exactly! Sometimes just the threat of him being there is enough of a disruption. Factor in the ST duty as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar