What Is the Titans' Offense Missing?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Offensive Needs:

A Coach that wants to win, not one that hopes the other team loses.

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I'll add

Coaching

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Question: Was the Steeler's defense unpredictable last Sunday or did they maintain the same scheme, disguise aspects of it when needed, and execute it extremely well?

To me, the goal here is to know your strengths and do what you do well. Gimmicks or tricks only take you so far. I'm okay with the occasional option or something else which gets VY on the edge but this isn't Boise State football. Much of what makes an offense successful is taking what the defense gives you and execution.

If a team puts eight in-the-box to limit CJ, the Titans are going to call more passing plays. If they are successful, then defenses have to respect that and play to stop it. That's when CJ sees some space to run.

If they are not successful passing the football due to poor passes by Young or drops by a receiver, can you blame the offensive approach? Of course not. It's about execution.

Now, having said all that, if the wrong play is sent to Young and he sees a better option at the line, he should opt for a better play. When he doesn't do that, is it about the scheme or VY's inability to read the defense? I think the Titans are going to be somewhat limited by Young's limitations here.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Rusty?

• High Five High Five x 3
  5. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

This is stupid. It's week 3 guys. In week 1 we dominated a crappy team. In week 2 a great defense dominated us. It happens.

6. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

They're 0-2 because Brett Favre has turned the ball over five times.

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

could be worse.

8. Johnnyrex

Johnnyrex Starter

One can say that 8 in-the-box opens the passing play, but IMO that's not exactly true. You put 8 in-the-box and you can also be closing the door for the majority of short-quick passes. For medium-long passes, you will need time and the protection has to hold up. With a Steelers D. that gives you all kinds of looks and exotic blitzes (plus the Polamalu factor) and that's a real challenge.

Vince could have played better, just like CJ and the Oline. But this time I have to give merit where it's due... Those guys have a great defense. Just maybe a hand full of quarter-backs in the NFL have the awareness to make that D pay for their style of defense.

9. jdog

jdog I like beer!

Missing? The intended receiver and points on the board.

10. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Damn. I thought this was going to be a thread about Mawae.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar