What Is the Titans' Offense Missing?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I do credit their defense. They're outstanding. But six turnovers by the offense points to more issues that need to get fixed fast. Though few defenses in the league have the talent of the Steelers D, you can bet any 3-4 the Titans face will try the same formula.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

I think the word you are looking for Glinks is consistency. That is what is missing..from the coaches to players..and it's annoying as hell.

3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I don't think we lack anything at all at this point. It's week-3 first off, and the only reason you can justify saying we're missing something is based off 3-4 quarters vs the Steelers, a defense everyone has acknowledged as seriously dominating. If we can't muster together 21+ points on the Giants, then maybe we should reevaluate what we are doing offensively. Supposedly the Raiders defense was something of a test and we used and abused that team. Time will tell, and after one bad outing I'm not hitting the panic button. You know how cautious Jeff Fisher is with the Steelers, he was playing it safe 100% of the game. You can't always do that when facing a top team like Pittsburgh, and we saw why.

Also take into consideration that the defense is playing great. As long as Jeff Fisher knows his defense will challenge the opposing offense, he'll be very reluctant to ask much of his offense. last year when the defense sucked, the offense was forced to turn it up. It's not the offensive players that aren't getting it done, its Jeff Fisher not getting it done.

4. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

"Alter their approach to give him the best chance to succeed??" LMAO
    Name another active QB that has been an NFL Rookie of the Year and played in 2 pro bowls while havingn more career INTs than TDs. Find another NFL QB in the history of the NFL with a season MVP that had worse stats than McNair in 2003. You willing to bet money on Billy Volek ever throwing for 400+ yards again like he did twice in Tennessee? Go back and check out how many 13 win seasons Kerry Collins has led teams to.

Jeff Fisher is blessing for Vince Young. He'd be done with anyone else.

5. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

Jeff, this is a highly intelligent, factual post yet Titanswillwin2 says it sucks. I don't know how you deal with these guys that only agree with posts that has nothing critical of their lord and savior Vince Young but it sure seperates the fan boys from we that understand football, imo.

6. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

To me, I believe this is a philosophical thing with Fisher. If you look back at Dinger's experience with the Broncos(twice) and Jets, he has no problem with opening up the offenses, and having a strong running attack. I think those comparisons speak alone.

But then you also have to figure in the question: Does Dinger have the confidence in VY to allow the same freedoms and open up the playbook? so there may be MAY BE two factors in play here.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

History tends to repeat itself.

Fisher kept the handcuffs on McNair for years. It wasn't until '03 and a horrible start that he was allowed to take more deep shots. Dinger unleashed McNair and opened up the offense. Remember McNair's weapons that season? Mason is the only player who many of us would say had solid talent. His others were Kinney, Bennett, Calico an McCareins.

I certainly think this group of WRs/TEs is as much talented, if not more, than the '03 group.

8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Good points. Who knows? Although to me, looking at the big picture, the main goal of this year should be figuring out whether or not Vince can be the guy they want him to be. And the only way to figure that out is to just go for it. Open up the playbook and let VY either flourish or fail. You won't figure anything out by continuing to limit him and yanking him when things are going south. Maybe he would step up to the plate and surprise some folks. And maybe guys like dbc will turn out to be right and Vince fails miserably. We'll never know if coaching refuses to take off the training wheels. IMO the absolute worst thing that could happen this season is for it to end and us still not know what we have or don't have at the QB position. I'd hate to see Vince go elsewhere and be lights out. And even moreso I'd hate for us to "think" he's our guy going forward, renew him, and then find out that he's not able to take it to the next level.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I totally agree with you. Just like last year, once VY was inserted, it's like everything was opened up because of our "we have nothing to lose" mentallity, but early on it seems we may be over-conservative again? Which points back to philosophy, and not handcuffs right? But then again, Fisher never re-cuffed McNair, so that's what makes me ask the question if they truly have total confidence in VY.

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Answer: they were unpredictable to Young because he was seeing their defense for the first time. They disguised their blitzes, maintained gap control, controlled the edges, and dictated the flow of the run game. Yes, they executed well.

Did the Titans adjust to what they were doing except insert Collins? No. The Titans did not adjust protections well, especially on obvious passing plays, and often, the targets were too far out of range.

Well, yes, you can blame the approach, to a degree. Young was an efficient passer except the two INTs, so it's not as though he was erratic. He underestimated Polamalu on the first. He should have kept it, taken the dump off, or thrown the ball away. He was focused on scoring through the air. Oh well. That happens. The second was perfectly timed by Pittsburgh. Young could utilize pump fakes more to move defenders and become better sure of what he's seeing on the field. This could be a coaching issue since I'm not sure of his tutelage in this area. Truthfully, though, that's another "live and learn" INT.

So really, there was one receiver drop/miss by Young, and two picks that you have to give the Steelers more credit for than blame to Young.

We have a breakdown of about 3 passes per quarter. If the staff has preached putting mistakes in the past and not letting it phase you, they need to practice that on the field with Young. And I'll mention there were a lot more drops by receivers with Collins in the game versus Young, and Collins minus the turnovers as well, did well given the circumstances.

"Limited by Young's limitations" is the philosophical reason this offense doesn't fly now. It's reflected by many posters, but I think in most cases when Young has been given a chance to prove himself, he's done better than many expected.

I honestly don't know if he has the ability to call a better play at the line. I tend to think not. I remember a little hand waving last year, but none this year, at least not yet. Personally, I feel any QB needs that ability.

I think there is a struggle with "just executing the play right" versus "calling and then executing the right play."

As long as he's here, Young needs to have more control at the LOS, in my view. No, don't heap it on him at once, but a little at a time. Three to five percent more variety each week versus a different opponent isn't too much to ask.

And if they wanted to keep with their gameplan versus the Steelers and rely on the pass, they should have adjusted protection to keep those long-developing plays as viable solutions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar