What Makes A Good Quarterback Great?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Texas_Titan_1, Apr 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texas_Titan_1

Texas_Titan_1 Camp Fodder

I was thinking about this last night and thought I would ask the rest of you. I do not have any stats but I know someone will volunteer the info. We have all seen good quarterbacks get drafted, some became great and others did not. I know that is just the way things are, but looking at current QBs that should be on their way to greatness but are not I had an Idea. Lets take Mike Vick, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning to demonstrate what i am talking about. I wonder if it really is the QB play or the inconsistency of there coaches. Ill explain. Gayton has been in indi with the same offensive coord for a long time and has gotten better and better. Eli who has the same genetic disposition as his brother has showed flashes of what he can do, but I think his performance has been held back because of the steps taken back when a new coach institutes a new offensive system. The same with vick, he should be really good, and showed some improvement last year, in his 2nd year under the offense (i think). I am just wondering what QBs could acomplish if given more time to learn a playbook. Think what would have happened if we lost chow this offseason. Vince in essence would have been a rookie all over again, at least when it came to the playbook. So many coaches/fans expect so much from these guys yet in some cases they are not given the opportunity to be as good as they can be. Thoughts comments?:coltssuk:

2. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I don't think that coaching consistency has much bearing on how good a QB is. Peyton lit up the league in his second year. Eli simply isn't as good as his brother and Michael Vick is just too lazy to put in the time to be great.

3. Texas_Titan_1

Texas_Titan_1 Camp Fodder

so you dont think that having the oportunity to truely learn a playbook does not effect your QB play?

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

2008 has it..

Peyton is one of the most accurate passers ever while his brother has average at best accuracy. Significant talent difference there. Eli has had good people to work with including a hall of fame type RB and an offense that lets him throw a lot. No excuses there..

Vick has the tools but just doesn't want to work at it enough. To be fair vick hasn't exactly been blessed with the best WRs in the league either. Vick became the first QB to ever rush for 1000 yards and nobody paid attention or gave him credit..

Certainly being in the wrong place can keep a good QB from being a hall of famer but not usually. Archie manning is the most extreme example of talent wasted on a horrible team and terry bradshaw might be one of the most extreme examples the other way. If it was archie manning on the steelers with the HOF RB and 2 HOF WR and a great o-line featuring the best center ever i'm sure he goes to the hall with some rings. Bradshaw on the saints wouldn't have the hall or a ring..

5. mdfan

mdfan Starter

A strong work ethic, leadership skills and at least a good offensive line are important things for a great quarterback.

work ethic - studies game films and develops chemistry with his receivers, continually strives to get better

leadership skills - in addition to having the confidence of teamates great leaders inspire their teammates to play at a higher level

Oline - great protection

6. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I think patience is the key. You have to make simple throws. Even in the two minute. Just take what they give you. Even if it's 5 yards and there are 30 seconds left. Take it. That's why I like Vince Young so much. He's calm in the pocket. Doesn't get rattled. And even when running at full speed looks like he's patiently gliding down the field. Peyton had jumpy feet for 7 years, and still does, but this year he did not force the game. He just took what was there and let his team win it for him. Vick and Eli force things that are not there in my opinion. Occassionally you will have to make a throw to be great, but more often than not, it's patience. Same thing for basketball too. Just slow down. The defense will always give you something. You just have to see what it is they are giving you and take your time.

7. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

In my opinion............what makes a good quarterback great, is what he does in the clutch, i think this relates to basketball to, bear with me now, a great player in basketball might not play so good in the first 3 quarters, but then in the 4th when every possession counts, good players will play the game with what comes to them, great players will dominate the game and win it for theyre team, in football i feel the same way, good quarterbacks might go 24-28 304 yds 5 tds in the first quarter, but in the 4th, when it matters, they will choke, maybe go 3-13 45 yds 1 INT, GREAT players even if they play horrible in the first 3 quarters, will dominate in the 4th, if not through out the game, for example a great quarterback could slip and go 9-27 102 , INT in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarters, but in the 4th, he naturally knows when to turn it on, will probably go 11-12, 132 yds, 2 TD's or whatever it takes, he will do anything to not let his team loose, he will want the ball in the clutch, a good player will not always watn the ball, thats what i think seperates a good player from a GREAT player..

8. Spinnaker

Spinnaker Guest

The ability to not only put up great numbers, but put the team on your back and win the game, or to pump the team up and have them rally around him.
    This is why i consider Vince great, look at that great winning streak, he basicly put the team on his back and carried them. See trent green and jake plummer and daunte culpepper are great in mediocre circumstances, but they bent under pressure, Vince thrived in times of pressure, similar to peyton, when the spotlight is on them, they produce and thrive. That's what makes a great quarterback

9. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Theres more to it than skill & work ethic,the great ones have intangibles.

So many come along that have the arm & the accuracy in practice but when the chips are down an awful lot of good QB's fold under pressure. The great ones thrive under pressure.

10. Titans256

Titans256 Starter

Confidence and Clutch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar