What makes Cutler look even better

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Titanpride, Mar 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

I'm not sure who was making this comment in the tennessean... it came across like it was Paul Kuharsky. That being said, Cutler had his pro-day outside in less than ideal conditions and was flawless. Add in he worked out at the Combine and lifted ( great mentality ) and his pro-day was conducted by Chow... who has no vested interest in him other than making sure all the questions are answered.

I got the sence from interviews and reports that Rhome protected Young with specific drills and some of the NFL personnel were less than impress with his pro-day.

- Young threw quite well, against air. A Pro Day at an indoor facility for a quarterback expected to be a top pick when there is no coverage to beat should be good, and Young’s was. (There was a wobbly deep ball down the middle and two balls that were way overthrown.) Teams will judge how to rate him with the heaviest weight on his performance as a collegian and on how he impresses them when he spends time with them one-on-one.

I would feel more confident with Cutler or Leinart ( pending pro-day ).

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

The problem with VY's pro day was that he didn't make any mistakes, but he didn't win over any doubters either. If you liked him before hand you will still want to draft him, if you had questions about him they're still unanswered.

3. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

I don't see how he didn't answer the questions about his throwing motion and accuracy.

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

His throwing motion has never been a questionmark, it was always known that it was different, but probably not a problem.

However opinion differ hugely on whether he threw deep passes, threw after the receivers had made the break, overthrew or underthrew on the incompletions (I've heard both) etc. So, to me he answered no questions. He didn't raise any either though.

5. Torch7

Torch7 Camp Fodder

The kid can do nothing right it seems, he didn't train for the 40 or expect to run one, he gets pressured into it, and runs a 4.57 and now, he's too slow. If I remember correctly he wouldn't be able to run against NFL defenses anyway right? :hmm:

Salisbury beams over him on ESPN, and then Mortensen finds an "unknown scout" to report he was not impressive. Was Mortensen even there?

Another guy comes out and says, he didn't make all the throws.

Gil Brandt says he did enough to improve his perception.

Personally I like to scrutiny... because this is the kind of environment Vince thrives in... the skeptics, are setting themselves up, to look dumb...when this kids game peaks to its full potential.

6. Ewker

Ewker Starter

isn't running for the 40 part of Pro Day? Seems to me you would want to impress everyone and if that meant running you run. No brainer in my book.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Basically I think VY did answer sceptics that thought he would bomb out in the passing drills but didn't do enough to really make people think he is a seasoned passer. He is obviously still a little raw and there are still quesitons about being able to make every throw, on time and accurate and nobody knows how he is doing in the chalk board talks.
    I agree, those who are already high on him are salivating because he didn't do poorly. Those who still have questions are not completely convinced.
    On this board Cutler was slammed some because he "threw to air" and should make good passes in that kind of environment. From what I have read, Cutler got the better of VY with a better showing throwing the ball in less ideal situations where VY was inside. How much that means we shall see. IMO I hope all three QBs totally dominate in all phases of their workouts and meetings. That only means we can't miss.

8. Torch7

Torch7 Camp Fodder

Running the 40 is not mandatory at pro-day. His camp has said, since he announced he would be entering the draft, that he wouldn't run. He showed up yesterday, and a ruckus was being made about him not running so he decided to.

His camp contends that he is being scrutinized because most says he's a runner in the quarterback position.

So if that's the case put on some film and see how fast he is.

I don't agree with the move, but that was there stance non-the-less.

Looking at the footage, Young came out of his stance way to high, and lost valuable time there. It was obvious he has not trained in running, and has been focusing on his passing.

------
    The minority of people there said Vince didn't do enough... and now its Gospel truth. I have heard more reports that said he was fantastic, than those who say otherwise.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I haven't heard but did Young lift?

10. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I think he only ran the one official 40 and did the throws.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar